Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#317819 03/17/13 09:18 AM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Looking at maybe buying a 20 bore Spanish side by side. Would like at least 29" barrels. I am not looking at the high grades but leaning twoards a Garbi 100 or 101 or an Arrietta.
What say you? Any suggestions?
Would like to see some pictures if anybody has some.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whats your price range?

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you wish to ever get your money back, don due hit!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
if you wish to ever get your money back, don due hit!

IMHO, that may only hold true if you buy new--and then I can cite examples where they do hold their when-purchased-new value. Consider, for example, an AyA #2 that originally sold for about $4500 5 years ago is still bringing that amount for a high-conditioned used gun today. Having said this, generally speaking, I believe purchasing a high-conditioned used Spanish sidelock double by one of the known quality current builders is a pretty safe bet to hold their value.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've got a lovely A Y A 20 and it's become my favourite. Nice and light, solid scaled down boxlock action with 27'' barrels. Admittedly, I got it at a good price, 200, about $300 I think. I would recommend a gun like this without hesitation, not sure if it'll last as long as my English guns but if looked after I honestly couldn't see why not. Don't think I'll be around long enough to find out though.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

wild: not to be agumentative, but i must disagree. based upon about 30 years of buying and selling used sxs guns, here are some insights:

- the higher the price of a gun the longer it takes to sell it.

- unfortunately, spanish guns have a negative stigma. in the trade it is known as "the spanish curse".

so, used, high priced spanish guns have a long sales cycle. and, with rare exception, they do not hold their value. sadly, i do not recall a single instance where a used spanish made gun appreciated in value.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, dems de facts...

Last edited by ed good; 03/17/13 12:48 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

"sadly, i do not recall a single instance where a used spanish made gun appreciated in value."

Oh, I don't know if that can be said across the board. I have several Spanish SXS, I could make money on but a good example. I bought a Ugartechea Model 30 STRAIGHT ENGLISH GRIP-EXTRACTORS-CHECKERED BUTT-CASE COLORED-NICE HAND CHECKERING-BLACKENED BARRELS-DOUBLE TRIGGERS. IMPRORTED BY PRECISION SPORTS, N.O.S./N.I.B. Purchased at a Florida pawn shop with all the papers for $300 in 2000. I have used it for years and taken care of it and get offers for it all the time for 2.5x that. ONE REASON IS, IT IS A SURE NUFF BIRD KILLER WITH 27 IN. BARRELS AND BORED IC/MOD.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ed- that may not be the case these days. Ten and twenty-year-old Arrizabalagas and AyAs are selling for more now than they cost (in dollars, not accounting for inflation). I have a number of Spanish mid-range SxSs that I can sell for more than I paid 8 or 10 years ago.

Besides, not everyone looks to recoup the purchase price of a toy that they used for years! If you look at what's happened to new prices of Spanish guns in the past few years you'll see what I mean.

Spanish guns got a bad rep 40 or 50 years ago when they made a lot of low-end guns to a price point. That's all in the past and, for example, the AyA #2 (a sidelock) is the best-selling SxS in the UK!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon

--- snip ---
Spanish guns got a bad rep 40 or 50 years ago when they made a lot of low-end guns to a price point. That's all in the past and, for example, the AyA #2 (a sidelock) is the best-selling SxS in the UK!

Point of order :-)

Any gun made to be sold is a price point gun. Price point is just that point at which offered compensation becomes sufficient that a seller is willing to transfer an item for the offered compensation. The AyA # 2 mentioned is a price point gun, and a relatively low price point gun at that.

All that said, Ed is partially correct. A gun purchased new, at full retail price, is unlikely to ever bring that original price at resale. The situation for used guns is less dire, and used guns can frequently be sold for more than the purchase price. Thats how Ed make money.

And with all of *that* said, I completely agree with Gnomons comment:

Originally Posted By: Gnomon

Besides, not everyone looks to recoup the purchase price of a toy that they used for years!

Shooters buy guns as tools, or recreational gear, and understand such things are depreciating assets. Resale value simply isnt a concern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are not all guns made to be sold at a 'price point'? I think what we may be referring to is lower 'price point'.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.