May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Lloyd3, Perry M. Kissam, Jimmy W, Ken Nelson, Dan R, 1 invisible), 280 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,650
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Print Thread
#317629 03/15/13 09:11 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking at this Webley & Scott 20 bore sidelock. The date stamp on the barrel flats indicates 1930 - am I correct in assuming that this is a later iteration of the Rogers patent back action? I am not in a position to remove the lockplates - is it possible to tell from the pin configuration whether these locks have intercepting sears? The third bite is the Webley Screw Grip, so based on all this I am assuming this is their W&R Proprietary Hammerless model.

The other interesting bit is that the rib is stamped with the Shaftesbury Ave., London address and the original proofs are London, but by 1930, hadn't W&S decamped to Birmingham?

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It certainly looks like the W&R hammerless. I can't quite see whether it is a pin or a bit of engraving on the forward bar part of the lock plate. The W&R was a back action style so if there is no pin there then chances are that it is. Quite a desirable gun in 20 bore. They are usually light and handle well. I have one in 12 bore and have never had a problem with it. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Doverham,

This is a classic P. Webley & Son action/W&R action. It is a back-action sidelock, the three large pins surrounding the tumbler pivot secure the bridle to the lockplate, the two horizontal pins are for the sear and interceptor pegs and pins on the aft edge of the lockplate are the main spring peg and sear spring pin (from memory, I might be wrong!)

I note the stock has no drop points?

Regards
J-PD

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the very helpful input from across the pond.

No drop points, front thru-lump and no shaping of the fences - all consistent with a price-point sidelock, presumably.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see it is proofed at a 70mm chamber now
Mike

British Sporting Arms, Ltd. - British Sporting Arms, Ltd. www.bsaltd.com
Company Overview
Books, Bags, Blankets, Boots, Buttons, Caps, Gloves, Leather or Leatherette Gloves, Pistols, Hats, Ladies Hats, Scarves, Shirts, Shotguns, Skirts, Ties, Pants, Hiking Walking Sticks, Shoes available from British Sporting Arms, Ltd. based in Millbrook, NY. Click the links below to visit our website or contact us via our profile page.

Contact Details
British Sporting Arms, Ltd. - British Sporting Arms, Ltd.
Address: 3684 Route 44, Millbrook, New York (NY), 12545, USA
Tel: work+845 677 8303
Fax: fax+845 677 5756
Web: www.bsaltd.com

Last edited by skeettx; 03/15/13 01:52 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike.

I have dealt with Charles at BSA but not on this gun. I sent him a gun for bending and when it came back the grip area way darker than when I sent it. His explanation was "Sh*t happens."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Build=t by Webley. Back action side-lock. Webley were always in Birmingham, hey had showrooms in London. Geography has nothing to do with quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When setting a stock although every care is taken ,the responsibility for the stock is that of the owner . They can break/split /gape . The wood can also darken due to the application of heat and the oxidation of existing oils . Stocks with a gloss finish can sometimes cloud . Do not mean to high jack a thread here but that's the way it is .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dig-exactly, which is why it seems strange to me that they would use London proofs and a London address on the rib even though they no longer had a London store. There must be some back story there.

Gunman - you right about who bears the risks, but there is a difference between discoloration and scorching. In any event, the issue for me was more on the customer service side. The gun was sent back without any comment with no bend and scorched finish. I think "Sh*t happens" in response to the customer's inquiry in that situation is a bit lacking.

Speaking of bending, this gun apparently has curved locks to provide castoff.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.