April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (mel5141, dbh1956, SKB, WBLDon), 1,005 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,234
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Saw this Frans Snyders painting yesterday at a Rembrandt, Van Dyck, and Gainsborough show at the Seattle Art Museum: Figures with Fruit and Game, ca. 1635

A large oil painting at 49 x 48 inches, the mastery of the medium was breathtaking, especially the handling of the deer's fur and folds of its skin in the shoulder area. Of particular note was the hun on top of the basket, and the basket itself. It was beyond exquisite, and simply cannot be done any better than this. There is a large snipe or woodcock there also, and some kind of meadowlark? I'm sure back then, if it flies, it dies, was the motto. Frans Snyders created a large number of these game-themed still lifes and genre pieces, all of which are extraordinary.

Another painting that literally took my breath away was Landseer's Hawking in the Olden Time, 1832, oil on canvas, 60 x 72. The power and emotion of this large painting when seen in person, and the gracefulness of the heron's twisted neck as it fights for survival were simply amazing. You have to see them up close to really appreciate them.

Just thought I'd share some art I thought you all might enjoy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice. Thank you for posting.

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another Landseer "Attachment"

Sometime in 1805, a young man named Charles Gough, who had been hiking in the mountains of the Lake District of Scotland failed to return. For 3 months neither he nor his dog were seen. Then, one day the young man's body, weathered and decomposed but untouched by mountain animal or bird, was discovered on a rocky ledge. Beside it, keeping watch, was his faithful terrier, or so the story goes.

Sir Walter Scott immortalized the event in his poem "Helvellyn."

I climd'd the dark brow of mighty Helvellyn,
Lakes and mountains beneath me gleam'd misty and wide;
All was still, save by fits, when the eagle was yelling,
And starting around me the echoes replied.
On the right, Striden-edge round the Red-tarn was bending
And Catchedicam its left verge was defending,
One huge nameless rock in the front was ascending,
When I mark'd the sad spot where the wanderer had died.

Dark green was that spot 'mid the brown mountain heather,
Where the Pilgrim of Nature lay stretch'd in decay,
Like the corpse of an outcast abandon'd to weather,
Till the mountain winds wasted the tenantless clay.
Nor yet quite deserted, though lonely extended,
For, faithful in death, his mute favourite attended,
The much-loved remains of her master defended,
And chased the hill-fox and raven away.

How long didst thou think that his silence was slumber?
When the wind waved his garment, how oft didst thou start?
How many long days and long weeks didst thou number,
Ere he faded before thee, the friend of thy heart?
And, oh, was it meet, that - no requiem read o'er him -
No mother to weep, and no friend to deplore him,
And thou, little guardian, alone stretch'd before him -
Unhonour'd the Pilgrim from life should depart?

When a Prince to the fate of the Peasant has yielded,
The tapestry waves dark round the rim-lighted hall;
With scutcheons of silver the coffin is shielded,
And pages stand mute by the canopied pall:
Through the court, at deep midnight, the torches are gleaming;
In proudly-arch'd chapel the banners are beaming,
Far adown the long aisle sacred music is streaming,
Lamenting a Chief of the people should fall.

But meeter for thee, gentle lover of nature,
To lay down thy head like the meek mountain lamb,
When, wilder'd, he drops from some huge cliff in stature,
And draws his last sob by the side of his dam.
And more stately thy couch by the desert lake lying,
Thy obsequies sung by the grave plover flying,
With one faithful friend but to witness thy dying,
In the arms of Helvellyn and Catchedicam.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 03/05/13 11:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Landseer's "Ptarmigan Hill with Gordon Setters" 1869

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fantastic poem Drew, thank you. I like the title "Little Guardian." Hmmmm...great idea for a painting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the links to the paintings Mark. I'm not surprised that someone who appreciates gun engraving like you do visits art exhibitions, I do.

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you go to the British NRA building at Bisley, you can see the design for an iron running deer target drawn by Landseer on a tablecloth, and the actual iron target in front of the building.
I donated a Ross 22 straight-pull rifle to the museum when I noticed that in their large collection of Ross straight-pull target rifles they were lacking a 22. I had one at home in Canada and I asked them if they would like it, and they said they had heard of the Ross 22 but had never seen one, so when I got home, I mailed them mine. A few yeard later I was in England again and went to Bisley and there it was, my 22 Ross in a cabinet with its big brethren. Quite the place, Bisley, go for a visit, it's not far from London.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another Landseer "There's Life In The Old Dog Yet"

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.