April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, Ken Nelson, Tom Shaffer, Marks_21), 1,014 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,238
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Rocketman #316350 03/06/13 07:07 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

From an 1892 London makers catalogue:

My semi-hammerless double grip action special gun. This is an excellent gun for keepers and emigrants, its quality, style and performance is far in advance of any other gun of its class.

This gun (the line drawing shows it with rebounding hammers and a Jones under-lever) was for sale at 7 guineas. There is the Emigrants Outfit which includes:

The above gun, fitted with waterproof case - 1. Complete set of strong fittings for loading, recapping, reloading cartridges and cleaning - 1/7/0. 200 best cartridge cases, 2 lbs felt wads, 1000 card ditto and 500 caps to recap - 0/10/0. The lot complete - 10!

This gun was his cheapest own name offering.

Next up was this:

My new model top lever semi-hammerless special gun. Available for 10 guineas, there is no suggestion for whom the gun might be suitable! (The line drawing shows a hammer gun)

Then moving up again was this:

Body patent special hammerless gun Available at 13/10/0 for the plain version or up to 35 with very best Damascus barrels, ejectors 5 extra. (The line drawing shows an A&D action)

The best quality top lever, bar action guns with Whitworth steel barrels were available at 45 with 5 extra for ejectors.

On a separate page listing all guns that can be supplied, the lowest price is for a 12 bore suitable for use at sea, or rough work at 5.

Tim

Rocketman #316351 03/06/13 07:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi All
I just thought this may be of interest to you, in the picture is a true country poachers gun it belonged to a very good friend of mine who is now poaching in that large estate in the sky it belonged to his grandfather who was a Shropshire poacher come game keeper in the 1800s. It was also used by his farther who was also a game keeper come poacher in Cheshire. The gun is near to top quality its action and locks where made by Joseph Brazier who was at the time one of the many gun component suppliers whose locks can be found on some of Londons Victorian first line makers. This gun has a Manchester gun makers name on the lock plates. The violin case is a rather cheap Victorian wood offering in which the gun has lived in for over a century, though it has been refurbished inside and new handle and catches fitted. I am sure that if a poacher is going to risk the noise of a gun while plying his trade he would want reliability above all, for if he was caught the penalties here in Britland where draconian.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Rocketman #316352 03/06/13 07:45 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting violin smile "What I was doing in the wood and what is that? I'm a-going for the country dance next village an' that's my fiddle I will be playing at the dance. Play for you? No way, I won't even take it outa case, too damp in here!" Thanks for sharing laugh

Rocketman #316356 03/06/13 08:38 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like the Brits came up with the violin case idea before Capone and the other American gangsters of the 20's for their Thompsons.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.