May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, bsteele, prairie ghost, Replacement), 991 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,849
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: boneheaddoctor
Why do they NEED every gun registered?

We don't....but I believe we do need private gun sales to go through the back ground checks in place now.

It's ok to feel that way, but I don't think you explained what that would fix. There's no cure if it's needed to make you feel better, but why ignore a fact that Dave K. brought up. Fourteen and a half odd million background checks resulted in sixty-two prosecutions. Does that make you feel safer, or point out that there were only sixty-two dummies.

How many out of sixty-two criminals do you figure are going to submit to your nonregistered, if it's possible, background check. How many jOe averages are gonna wait for delays and eat the cost of background checks. What if you get a clear background check and your buddy shoots his wife with one of your previous turkey guns, you off the hook or on the record.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, see your point but what interests me is not the gnat's eyelash of prosecutions, it's the number of refusals as a result of background checks.

Also, the background check has nothing to do with who's on the hook for murder with a previously owned gun. That's registration, passing from owner to owner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let's see here...

Adam Lanza's mom passed ALL of CT's gun checks and laws. Then her kid went out and massacred a school.

Was there a check box she missed?

Like "My son is a homicidal maniac who's been on drugs since he was 2"
Check "yes" here.
Check "no" here.
Check "DNA" here.

Well now. That would have made everything different wouldn't it?

(Check here if you're an idiot parent)

Friendly reminder: The Second Amendment says NOTHING about background checks. Because bureaucrats can't stop crime!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
Craig, see your point but what interests me is not the gnat's eyelash of prosecutions, it's the number of refusals as a result of background checks.

Also, the background check has nothing to do with who's on the hook for murder with a previously owned gun. That's registration, passing from owner to owner.

What good is running checks if they prosecute almost NO ONE that gets rejected trying to buy a gun now AT DEALERS? And they go after so few...they essentially go after no one.

Last edited by boneheaddoctor; 02/22/13 07:13 PM.

The liberals are asking us to give Obama time.
We agree, and think 25 to life would be Appropriate.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd think your two point are somewhat related King. If an individual is known to have sold a firearm that was later used in a crime, there could be a better than fair chance that a refusal, at least delay, comes up the next time they want to buy a gun.

I'd tend to suspect that background checks for private sales is a paper trail or a form of defacto registration. I'm not thinking criminals should have guns, only that the facts and the strong encouragement to compromise do not address the criminals or safety interest of the public. It seems to have an ideological purpose though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You raise interesting points. I'm opening my yap here because Canada went through registration. Since it's gone, we still must pass a safety course and background check to get a license to possess and acquire a gun and ammunition. I mention it because of the possibility of US looking here for something less onerous and restrictive than registration. So, I can buy and sell any of my guns at any time to anyone as long as I buy from a person with a Possession and Acquisition license and sell to one who has the same license. There is no registry but I know that some gunshops keep records in case guns turn up in the wrong hands and wrong places. Perhaps Canadian members will provide additional information of how it works.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh, Canada!

Oh, NO!

If The Great White North thinks these "sensible regulations" are good deal, God save the USA!

And you can keep the Molson.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bilious Bob
Oh, Canada!

Oh, NO!

If The Great White North thinks these "sensible regulations" are good deal, God save the USA!

And you can keep the Molson.
I don't buy Molson, only locally made stuff.

99.9% of us DO NOT think Cdn regs are "sensible".

Only some weirdos perhaps.

Dumb, but learning...Prof Em, BSc(ME), CAE (FYI)
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Replacement
[Well, put up or shut up. Post something definitive about mandatory "confiscation" in CA. If you follow the rules, nothing gets confiscated. Your agenda is out in front of your brain, but that's not much of a stretch.

I don't really want to get in the middle of a personal conflict anymore than I care to have anyone criticizing my personal conflicts... even though that happens quite often. But I will point out some glaring problems with what has been going on in California. You say that "If you follow the rules, nothing gets confiscated."

Well, the RULES are "...the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed."

This is a Constitutional Right that they're chipping away upon. This is a Civil Rights violation as much as discrimination because of race or skin color. If we're foolish enough to let them incrementally take it away or dilute it, shame on us. We already own these rights. The government does not give them to us. It's up to us to stick together as women and minorities have done, and fight to keep them.

I don't know personally if anyone has actually had the police knocking on or breaking down doors in California to confiscate firearms. There probably are isolated incidents that can be documented. But just the fact that we apparently have the scenario where folks and firearms dealers must either sell or transfer firearms to another state, or relocate their businesses to another state is frightening. These are law abiding people we're talking about. California is not doing things to force out drug dealers and gang-bangers.

What happens when other states pass the same kind of draconian laws that do absolutely nothing to reduce violent crime? Where do we move or sell our Constitutionally permitted property then? Do we sell our guns for pennies on the dollar to dealers who can export them to some country where firearm ownership is still legal as happened in Great Britain?

This whole scenario has been played out before. The camel must get his nose under the tent before he can upend the whole thing. What starts out as a "reasonable" inconvenience leads to outright bans and confiscation.

Why is that so hard to see?

The issue is not whether California is completely fucked up on its gun regs. Those of us who live here all agree on that point. The issue is that ISS is bloviating about California's confiscation of guns, and he is simply wrong, as usual. He spouted off with some incorrect info, and I called him on it. We don't like the CA regs, but we have learned to live with them until we can vote the bastards out of office. ISS is an idiot and needs to get his facts straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

See Dave K's post on page 3 of this thread for the facts and figures which show that 94.2% of the refusals in 2009 were false positives. He elaborates further on the number of refusals that resulted in actual convictions, and the extremely miniscule conviction rate over time.

Not discussed in the data is why it was necessary to collect information on the make, model, and serial numbers of guns that were sold to law abiding folks who passed the backround check. Unless the dealer is selling grenades, rocket launchers, sawed off shotguns, or other prohibited weapons, this is none of Barack Obama's business.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.