April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (mark, SKB, ithaca1, playing hooky, 2 invisible), 851 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm looking for some help identifying some symbols on the barrel flats of my new French game gun. I have a proof book published in 1976 by Wirnsberger, but these symbols aren't in it. What I'm referring to are the pair of birds stamped on the flats of each barrel. In addition, there's S10 stamped on the left barrel flat. I'm curious about that too, however it's the two pair of birds on each barrel flat that has me curious.

I just added this second enlarged image of the pair of birds.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 02/16/13 10:56 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would bet they are a manufacturers mark designating grade. You would almost need to know who built it, and have a version of their catalog from the same era of it's building to figure it out.
We don't always get that on French guns. Can we see the rest of it?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall it, Ronchard used a running rabbit stamp as a sort of trademark, so I would not be surprised if this was a different manufacturer's trade/grade mark.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Ted,
I currently have the stock off correcting some blemishes. As far as I can tell it's a guild gun. I posted this thread with pictures a while back when I purchased the gun http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=309796&page=all
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Might be the nicest French guild gun I've ever seen. Those marks could even be the retailers, which would further muddy the waters.
I really like shouldering sub 6 lb 12s, but, thats where the love ends. Hard on me, and hard to hit anything. I think Mike McCintosh opined that a 28 should weigh 6 lbs and he might have been right. My 6lb 4oz Tobin 16, loaded with Eley VIPs sure lets me know when it has gone off.

Best,
Ted

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ted,
You haven't experienced true recoil until you've fired my 5lb 1ounce 16 gauge shocked. Even with 1 ounce loads it still kicks lika' hell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Rockdoc,
I have never seen the "fallen ducks" before.
It sure is a trade mark, but I don't know whom it belongs to.
As Ted says, could be either a retailer or a maker.
I shudder when I think of pulling the trigger on a 5lbs 16Ga...
Maybe the stock needs a better fitting as well.
Good luck with this.
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve:
What is in the oval near the rib on the underside of the left tube? Also is S10 stamped on the water table? I've stumbled upon a few that had similar stamps of the cupped-up ducks. That's what you want to see before you pull the trigger. Anyway, the few that I've seen pointed to another tube maker like Jean Breuil and had Fanget & Co on it also. Seems that Fanget & Co finished the sporting weapon? The Sxx was also a common stamp on the flat & water table(maybe is number was in the 70s). I think the marks note some sort of test to the tubes and/or trademark like the aforementioned Ronchard Cizeron. Two stamps of a cupped-up duck, so 2 separate tests/inspections. They were rolling their own and proofing their own and for some reason another tube maker contributed some effort. I don't think the lifted image of the French boxlock below to be one in the same.

Canon JB & Fanget & Co. stamps along with a brace of Cupped-Up ducks on each flat.

Subject French sporting weapon.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Raimey,
The gun in the picture with the ducks looks virtually identical to mine. The only difference is that mine has slightly fancier checkering. As to your questions, there is an oval stamped next to the lower rib on the left barrel that has F&CIE inside the oval. S 10 is also stamped on the water table along with a proof mark and the guns serial number.

The barrel also has CANON FANGET stamped on the right barrel underneath the forearm.

Thanks for responding to my query.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 02/17/13 10:44 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting and at this juncture, I'd say that the preponderance of evidence points to Canon Fanget or Fanget & Co. owning the cupped-up duck trademark stamp. Maybe additional info will shore up this hypothesis or point to the actual fella.

The following blog/thread on St. Etienne tube making just might be informative and an English translation most insightful?

http://gravure.blog.fr/2011/03/28/la-fabrication-des-canons-a-saint-etienne-suite-10904999/

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.