May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, graybeardtmm3, Jason Dubois, Hammergun, 3 invisible), 266 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,157
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#309796 01/19/13 10:09 AM
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I got lucky the other day and purchased this nice 12 gauge French SXS. I took photos, but was using a new camera so not everything came out as Id hoped. Im also having trouble downloading to my image host so that I can post photos of the proofs etc. According to the seller its a Fauget & Co., I cant find them in my Carders book so I suspect they were a sales outlet and not a manufacturer. Im pretty excited about this gun. It has 27 barrels (68.5cms) with dual proofs, it appears to have been almost unused, and it weighs in at a svelt 5lbs 14ounces. The French know how to build them! Ill try my image host again later and see if I cant get pictures of the barrels flats posted. Id like to learn more about this gun.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice!

Ms. Raven
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks 775.
I just went back to my image host and was finally able to get my barrel flats images posted. As usual I had trouble with the camera focusing on the barrel lug and not the flats.
Steve

]

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/19/13 10:40 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice looking gun-swamped rib, I presume? Shorty chambers (you knew that) or have they been lenghtened?
Nice weight to carry all day, I'm afraid few people shoot a truly light gun well. I'd likely load it to the 16 gauge standard of an ounce of shot, and I'd bet it still recoils with authority.
Do enjoy.

Best,
Ted

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Ted, yes it's got a swamped rib, quoi encore? I won't lengthen the chambers, but I do see extended forcing cones in this guns future. Your right about the loads, with double proofs I'm not worried about standard loads, but you do pay for it in your shoulder. I shot a 100 clay sporting clays round with my 5lb 16 gauge using 1ounce Federals and felt it in my shoulder for days afterwards. At least with this gun I can use Winchester AA Low recoil/noise shells for sporting clays.
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice find Steve. I love the engraving on the top and barrels. Almost looks like cocking indicators on the flowers.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a nicern!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve - that is a very nice find! The Helicobloc lockup is a very strong design. I have to wonder if that might have been made by Verney-Carron, based on the Helicolbloc mark and the scalloped back - just a hunch. Other makers used the Helicobloc mark after V-C's patent expired, but that gun just looks like a V-C for some reason.

Compare it to this gun:

V-C

Last edited by Doverham; 01/19/13 06:31 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doverham, there are similarities, especially in the stock carving, I'm guessing the gun you're showing is a boxlock with side-plates. When you say scalloped back do you mean the heavily carved fences on both these guns? If so that's pretty common on French guns, they loved carved balls. One thing that is interesting on both guns is how thin the fences (balls) are. I don't have this gun in hand yet, but when I do and can really inspect it and take some nice closeup pictures I'll learn a lot more. After all that's half the fun! My son bought me a Canon SLR camera for Christmas, so once I thoroughly figure out how to use the thing taking good pictures should be a snap.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/19/13 07:24 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's kind of hard to say from the pictures, but it looks to me that the barrels bear the "canons Fanget" mark, which means that the barrels were made by Fanget who was a good barrel maker. Perhaps not as well known as "Jean Breuil" but good nonetheless.
He did *not* make the gun.
I like the bulbous fences of belgian influence. You can see that they have been trimmed to a bear minimum in order to meet the weight goal.
Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve - I was actually referring the action, where it meets the stock head. The Brits also call that fancy-back I believe. I have some V-C catalogs and they show both boxlocks with sideplates and ones with scalloping with a similar pattern to yours. I will try to post a couple examples if time permits.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve I really like your Frenchy. Maybe there will be some pheasants for us to chase in Kansas next season and I can show you how to shoot it.

Very nice.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

who will you hire to teach him? As I recall...never mind...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a heckuva buy at that price. The Winchesters will work, but they're often "poofy" in cold weather--although that's more of a problem for us up here in the north country than it would be in TX. If it were mine, shooting targets, I'd reload 7/8 oz. Not too much of a pressure concern with the double proof, just keep the velocity at a moderate level. Maybe even 3/4 oz if you're shooting skeet with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Steve,

What a great buy! Congratulations!

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys, for a bottom feeding upland hunter such as myself finding this gun was like finding the Holy Grail of upland guns. Just like my 16's it's lighweight, yet I don't have to feel I'm getting screwed every time I buy ammo and I have a huge selection of 12 gauge loads to choose from right off the shelf. Like I said for me it was like finding the Holy Gail.
Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
Thanks guys, for a bottom feeding upland hunter such as myself finding this gun was like finding the Holy Grail of upland guns. Just like my 16's it's lighweight, yet I don't have to feel I'm getting screwed every time I buy ammo and I have a huge selection of 12 gauge loads to choose from right off the shelf. Like I said for me it was like finding the Holy Gail.
Steve

Steve, re your last sentence: double proof aside, it wouldn't be a good idea to run standard American 2 3/4" factory ammo through that gun. You'd be OK with the low noise/low recoil Winchesters, but even "light" American target loads are not necessarily light in terms of pressure. (Particularly true of the cheap stuff at places like Wal-Mart.) And most factory 7/8 oz loads for the 12ga are pretty fast because they're made for international competition where the shot charge is limited. And any 2 3/4" hull fired in a 2 1/2" chamber will raise pressures, anywhere from a few hundred to over 1,000 psi--which is why those of us that reload light 2 3/4" loads for 2 1/2" guns build in a significant safety margin in terms of pressure. If you're talking about availability of 2 1/2" 12's from people like RST and Polywad, plus foreign-made shells, you do have an advantage there over what you can find for the 16. But I think most of us who shoot a lot of targets with 2 1/2" guns would recommend going the low pressure reload route. You'll save a bunch of money, components are readily available, lots of good 12ga target hulls for multiple reloads, and easy to keep the pressure very low.

Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry,
I appreciate your concerns and I certainly didn't mean "Whoopee, magnum loads here I come!" I found standard field loads with off-the-shelf Wnchester and Federal 1-1/8 ounc standard loads work just fine, I prefer 1 ounce loads when I can find them. What I was remarking at was being out in the boonies somewhere with my 16 gauge and being stuck having to use "magnum" 1-1/8 ounce 16 gauge loads, take it or leave it, and having to pay a premium price for something I didn't really prefer to begin with. As far as the 2.5" chamber, I've found that simply lengthening the forcing cones makes digesting 2.75" shells much easier for the gun. After all we're only talking about 0.25".
Steve
PS as far as reloading, I purchased a 16 gauge reloader several months ago and still haven't used it. I'm hoping within the next 6 months to leave my sticks & bricks Texas home and move into a large RV and begin a mobile lifestyle with my falls/early winter spent up north in pheasant or ruffed grouse country. With that type of lifestyle you have to keep extra baggage (such as reloading equipment) to a minimum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.