April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bob Jurewicz, CJ Dawe, L. Brown, obsessed-with-doubles), 566 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,259
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#308719 01/12/13 10:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just picked up the Birmingham side lock pictured below and am confused by the markings. Looks to me like it was proofed first in London with 2 1/2 inch chambers and later in Birmingham at 2 3/4 inches- is that correct? Any way of dating the manufacture of this gun or the date of proof? Was Rowland Watson the maker or the retailer who sold the gun? What is known about the Boulder, Colorado company- was that the importer?
Anything you can tell me about this shotgun will be appreciated and I am looking forward to learning about these beautiful guns. Thanks, Jim
[img][IMG]http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu315/corkdecoy/English%20Shotgun/table_zps7e1eedb1.jpg[/img][/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi CD, welcome to the slippery slope of Brit guns! This won't be your last! Once you get one, you'll have to get more.

First off, the importer is our own Steve Bertram who is a member of this board BTW. His handle is SKB. You can PM him for more info on your gun.

Your gun can be dated several ways, by SN, the proof marks (this is a general guide and not a specific year) and also by a series of letters between crossed "swords". Your gun has been reproofed to 2 3/4", but don't shoot modern American high pressure loads in your gun....not a good thing!!!

The maker Watson, did make and retail his guns (the action is I believe made by W&S). You can google Watson for more info.

There are several good books that will help you understand Brit guns in simple lay terms:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Guns-Modern-Diggory-Hadoke/dp/160239198X

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-British-Shotguns-Shooting-Sportsman/dp/0892727748/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

http://www.safaripress.com/The-British-Boxlock-Gun-Rifle/productinfo/HADOKE98Z/

The above books are excellent!!

Again, congrats on your first Brit Gun, you won't regret it!!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Boothroyd give a good potted history of Rowland Watson and the later amalgamated company of Thomas Wild . IT was said that there had always been a Watson in the Birminham gun trade since first established in buisness in 1723 . The last MR Watson died in 1988. I had the peasure of breifly knowing him in the late 70s . They were at the 17 Whittall St adress 1900/1930 .
I would suspect the gun was at the earlier end of that time give the original black powder proof . gjw belives the action was but W & S but I see no evidence of that. It looks to be a fairly standard trade style action from the photo . Wild/Watson did use some Belgian actions prior to WW1 quite nicely finish in Birmingham but had brazed ribs . I once owned one .

Last edited by gunman; 01/13/13 07:34 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a gun I brought in for a client. It handles extremely well and has nice dimensions. It should make a fun shooter, Enjoy!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Proofmarks on this gun are interesting. The original ones are London and look to be from 1887-1904. (After 1904, the shot charge would have been marked.) It then looks as if the gun got a Birmingham reproof--the crossed swords mark, which did not appear until 1921. I can't make out the letter in the left quadrant of that mark, but that would give you a date of the first reproof. The latest reproof is quite recent, because the STD under a crown--which means that the gun is proofed for only standard ammunition, not high pressure (avoid American factory 2 3/4" loads, as indicated above)--only came into use in 2005.

Hope this helps.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the input! These proof marks are not easy for a neophyte to interpret-to say the least! Here is a detail of the crossed swords stamp- does it denote the year of proof as 1897?

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Corkdecoy

Thanks for all of the input! These proof marks are not easy for a neophyte to interpret-to say the least! Here is a detail of the crossed swords stamp- does it denote the year of proof as 1897?

Hi CD, no it's not 1897 as COL Brown stated the crossed swords didn't come in until 1921. But, if you can give me the SN I can look it up for you.

Yes your right, Brit proof marks are a bit of a mine field!

Best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

These proof marks are actually nice and clear.
The top line on the RH barrel is the modern Birmingham set, the line closest to the lumps is the earlier original, black powder London set, used from 1887 to 1925 (nothing much changed for London BP proof until the chamber length mark was added).
What is confusing is that the Birmingham Reproof mark and its date stamp have been added to the original London proof line rather than immediately after the Birmingham proof line. The reason probably being that the was not quite enough room for the date stamp and the Reproof stamp always seems to be at placed at the muzzle end of the flats.
The crossed swords give the date of the MOST RECENT proof: 1997.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.