May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, FlyChamps, skeettx, cpa, 2 invisible), 350 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,735
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dear colleagues,
I consider to buy a new AyA boxlock #4. Could you share your opinion about this?
Is it worth? How is it comparing with the mass produced Brownings and Berettas?
Thank you in advance.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jagermeister
Sorry, what do you mean? (Nie rozumiem Pana? O czym Pan mowi?)

ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry, no opinions?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Ivans

I have a AYA mod 25 boxlock,it's the same inside. I like it very
much.The mod #4 it's a quality gun with little longer barrels which I prefer),and for example in Denmark they love it for fieldhunting.You have to pay 10'000-15'000 dk kronor to get a used one.(if you can find one).

Regards Lennart

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are serviceable but lack refinement and the kind of attention to detail you will get on a mid-grade British boxlock non-ejector of the 1920s. The latter are better guns and better value.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While the Brit boxlocks of the 1920's may well be better guns, they're also at least half a century older guns, and they were not built to withstand the pressures generated by modern American 2 3/4" shells. So whether an old Brit boxlock is a better gun depends on several factors, a very important one being what you intend to shoot in the gun.

Note that I write the above as a fan of British boxlocks and as the owner of a pair of 1933 vintage Army & Navy boxlocks made by Scott. But one does have to understand their limitations in the 21st century shooting world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They may well be harder to find than AYAs in Ukraine!

However,used with the right ammunition (and 2 1/2" shells are ample for all game shooting)they have no more limitations than a modern foreign version.

In fact, they are better made and less liable to shoot loose in my experience.

The point about ammunition is a good one - if availability is an issue in Ukraine - if only 70mm shells are available, be sure to buy a gun chambered for them.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an AYA No 4 deluxe 12 gauge and it is a fine gun in every respect. My gun has all the bells & whistles you would expect on a deluxe gun; nice wood, diamond grip, drop points, full coverage engraving, deluxe checkering, even a file-cut rib. I have never had any problems with the gun in any way. It produces very uniform patterns with No 5 and No 6 shot. I use it for pheasants and all other upland game except grouse. (It's really too nice for the grouse woods). I bought it secondhand for about half of its current price, so I wouldn't buy one as an investment. Also, for the price of a No 4 deluxe boxlock, you can almost buy a No 2 sidelock if you are buying new.

ivans Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks to all for such active participation!

Somebody guess: I'm choosing between new AyA #4 and used British boxlock.

Let suppose that there is no problem with ammo - it's available and used guns are too.

I prefere the 16 ga.

So what to buy?

AyA - is new gun, corresponding to modern requirements. It can be made with custom stock etc.

British boxlock - perfectly, thoroughly, made.

I like both.

I'm flustrated.

Help me, please.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.