April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Chad Linder, SKB, 2 invisible), 454 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Merry Christmas and a Safe New year to everyone on the Double Gun BBS.
I have secured an invite with my Afghan counterparts for a possible dove hunt in the spring.
Actually , we were out on a patrol visiting their checkpoints and there was a Dove that landed on one of the Hescos on the perimeter wall. My counterpart, seeing that I was armed with a Mossberg 500 Riot Gun, motioned for me to shoot the dove. I explained through my terp that I had OO buck and it was pointless. He whipped out his S&W M&P 9m and was going to try and shoot it. Luckily for all of us involved the dove flew away. At that time he said when the season started in March we would go.
So, we have a tentative hunt for march. My guy said the place was overflowing with doves then. May be interesting.

Yes, I am holding a Mossberg 500 12 ga 18 cyl. Choked pump. Why no M4 you ask. Well, in the Armys indubitable wisdom, they felt that a field grade doesnt need a rifle for going out into the wilds of Afghanistan , with Afghan security forces, with the risks of green on blue at an all-time high. In fact Green on Blue involving Afghan Police against coalition mentors has experienced a 900% increase in attacks this year over 2011.Thats open source info. (dont worry, I am working on that) so, I was able to secure the shortest weapon I could get my hands on and a bag of OO buck loads for it. Short term fix is all.
If I go, I will post some photos and fill you in on the details.

Yeah, I know , it isnt a Fox but will have to do. Supposedly he can get shotshells. We will see.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

That'll be a story to tell...

I flushed quail and found some tasty-looking dove species somewhere overseas earlier this year, but all I had was an F88 Austeyr...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems like if ya'll could find a watering hole I would think you could work on them pretty good, Brian.

Thanks for the pic, way cool.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

what one gets to carry as a field grade is widely variable I carried an M4 with a 10.5 in barrel (short for meetings and tight places - I had plenty of guys for the long range game) and my deputy colonel a regular M4.

it all depends on the day and the unit

My view on wild bird hunting in Afghanistan is that it is few and far between as the habitat is trashed completely. I looked for and saw few wild gamebirds (mostly ducks, and one chukar in a marketplace cage)

Last edited by old colonel; 12/27/12 02:52 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

And that (Up-close-and-personal security, NOT doves) is what a Mossberg IS good for!

Somehow, I don't think the Argentine dove hunting industry is in danger from Afghan competition any time soon....maybe a long-term "nation building" goal?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would've thought there'd be chukar in Afghanistan. But doves are better than nothing.

Good hunting, Brian. And stay safe.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Better watch your back on that dove field! Any shot raining down on you will likely be much bigger that #7's!

Mark

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 12/27/12 01:29 PM.

USMC Retired

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.