April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, 1 invisible), 204 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,756
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

It could be that Mr. Kirkwood just didn't have enough output to generate the interest that the other makers of his time did. The Kirkwood "drilling" is a very scarce item, just like the Lefever "drilling".

Sidelock
Sidelock

David Kirkwood is an American gunmaker I have not heard mentioned on here before. Can you direct us to some references about his guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
David Kirkwood is an American gunmaker I have not heard mentioned on here before. Can you direct us to some references about his guns?

I would start with 'The Kirkwoods of Boston" by CDR Roy Gunther, "The Gun Report" January, 1992.

I have a really poor copy of "The Unusual Kirkwood Story" from "The
Sporting Goods Dealer" February, 1951. I've been looking for a good copy of this for years with little luck.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friend has a 3-bbl 12 ga shotgun. Were any of these made in the USA?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is high time that a comprehensive history of the Kirkwood guns and rifles was published in a contemporary venue. Somehow, although I have high asperations, I never can find the time to do such things! If anyone wants to take up the challenge, my small accumulation of Kirkwoods, two "drillings" one unfinished, and a double unfinished "paradox", as well as two different catalogs and some 20's vintage advertising, are available for study. I have a long time friend with a few "rare" Kirkwoods; whom I am sure would also cooperate in such a venture. Michael, I'm sure you know to whom I'm referring. The gauntlet has been tossed!
All the best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is one article that I would love to read. Long over due, and I for one hope that it gets done right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mal Mac Gregor
It is high time that a comprehensive history of the Kirkwood guns and rifles was published in a contemporary venue. Somehow, although I have high asperations, I never can find the time to do such things! If anyone wants to take up the challenge, my small accumulation of Kirkwoods, two "drillings" one unfinished, and a double unfinished "paradox", as well as two different catalogs and some 20's vintage advertising, are available for study. I have a long time friend with a few "rare" Kirkwoods; whom I am sure would also cooperate in such a venture. Michael, I'm sure you know to whom I'm referring. The gauntlet has been tossed!
All the best, Mal

Mal, I could not agree more but my dance card is full and I see no letup in sight. Ten years ago I figured I’d knock out the custom rifle makers then turn my attention to the custom shotgun makers. I have a filing cabinet drawer full of custom shotgun maker info but little will see publication. There are several members of this BBS and ones I KNOW read this that could very well do the job. As you know my last great Kirkwood double went to your friend. I sent my Kirkwood file to one man in New York who copied it so I know there are folks with the info. Shooting & Fishing has a lot of Kirkwood info including articles by Margaret Kirkwood. I will share whatever I know with anyone who wants to tackle this job.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are a couple pics of my Kirkwood Bros 10ga apart. It has steel barrels and the only proof marks are the ones shown on the barrels ahead of the flats. This gun is not like a lot of the cheaper "put your name on it" (ie Clarbrough sp?)guns from England that I have seen before. It is of higher quality and really a nice gun. Does anybody recognize the design as that of an English maker? I like to think the barrels were brought into the US and the rest of the gun made by Kirkwood, but I dont know. Ross

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have several Kirkwood guns at Terry Allen's for photos for
Double Gun Journal articles. Hopefully when photos are done
articles will be done-This is a very slow process.One or two
articles on M/L conversions and hammer guns. Another on Drillings
Mal, I would love to have any info you have. I have the Gunther article and the 1924 Kirkwood catalogue only.
Have 8 Kirkwoods conversion hammers and drillings
Reguards
Bill McPhail

J W McPhail

Those very simple locks seem almost identical to the LC Smith's, with two minor modifications: The main spring's location is rotated 180 degrees, fore on the Kirkwood and back on the Smith; the third bridle mounting screw is low on the Kirkwood (in a location vacated by the spring's relocation), while it is near the top of the Smith's lock.

Fred
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.