May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hammergun, eeb, Hal M Hare, Jem Finch), 773 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
two16s Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Looking for a inexpensive double and found a Lefever Nitro Special in 20 ga in good mechanical condition, on face, mirror bores - $299 at pawn shop. The stock & blueing need work of course but for what I want it for I won't bother. I know these were Ithaca's low cost doubles but were they fairly reliable, any weak areas I need to be concerned about ?

'"Your value does not decrease based on someones's inability to see your worth"
Sidelock
Sidelock

That gun is a fine shooter. Load two shells and it will go bang, bang. To me they are like the Dodge six cylinder motors use to be. Not flashy, just able to run for years. You might look at opening the choke up as many are choked 4/4 which is full and full. Much better I/C and mod or I/C and full combo for my shooting with a 20.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a good deal for a 20. The weak spot is, I have seen many Ithaca Flues and Nitros with a piece of the wood broken off up by where it meets the receiver by the upper tang. It is usually caused by #1.... stock bolt not being kept tight. The wood on old guns shrinks and tang screws and stock bolts can get loose.

I believe the Nitro has a through bolt in the stock. Remove the butt plate or pad and use a big screw driver to FIRMLY snug it up. If it has a rubber pad put a little gun oil around the screw holes to keep from buggering the rubber.

#2...the wood gets broken off because of imperfect mating of the stock face to the receiver. I always Acraglass the stock face of older guns to get a perfect mating so that all the wood bearing surface is taking recoil force. It's easy to do. Just order some Acraglass Gel kit from Brownells and do it for peace of mind. After applying the glass, carefully put the stock back on and tighten down. Don't forget to apply the release agent to any metal that may make contact with the glass.

If it's your first double, DON'T slam it shut. To close the gun some grab the bottom of the stock and raise to close the gun.

Last edited by 2holer; 12/04/12 05:42 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had several Nitro Specials including one 20 gauge.
On Nitro specials the choke code is:
4=Full
3=Mod
2=IC
1=Cy
The numbers can be found on the barrel flats. As far as the numbers are concerned, I'm going by memory, someone please jump in if I'm wrong.
On one gun, I used to occasionally have trouble breaking the gun open because the firing pins would drag.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

3=Improved Modified
2=Modified
1=Improved Cylinder
0=Cylinder
This was Ithaca's choke marking scheme. You will have to pattern the gun to see what it actually is.

Last edited by Walter C. Snyder; 12/04/12 11:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only problem I've ever seen with nitro's is compressing the cocking rod spring should the rod ever break. It requires a special jig and is harder than herding cats.

Sidelock
Sidelock

most nitro 20s that i have seen lately are in the 500/650 range....299 was a steal

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice price, especially for a 20.
Look for the common things,, matched #'s, loose breech, cut bbls, ect.

Yes, they are a thru-bolt stock. They should bed tightly onto the receiver and the front face of the wood. If they get loose there, simply tightening the thru-bolt pulls the action back further. A little can be OK and make it well again.
If there's too much room to take up, the tightening will just pull the large diameter rear tang post into the stock like a wedge and crack the wood.

Over all a pretty simple & stout action with little to go wrong.
The cocking rods sometimes get worn and lift the hammers a bit late,,so the firing pin(s) may drag a bit. Sometimes just switching ammo will cure the problem well enough for you that a major repair can be avoided.

With the gun UNLOADED,,dry fire one bbl and then unlatch the top lever with the gun in the horizontal position. Let the bbls drop of their own weight slowly till you feel them start to pick up the cocking rod/hammer engagement. Take a look at that point how far the (top of the) breech is open.
It shouldn't be more than a few .000" at that. That's how far the bbl will have to move with the firing pin down hard onto the fired primer with the bbl rotating the case upwards as it is opening. Case dragging...
Do it with the other bbl too.

Harder primers in different brand(s) of ammo help disguise the problem as the firing pin doesn't bury itself into the primer as deep when fired.
The only real way to see if everything's in order is to shoot it of course,,but that's not often possible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, the tops of the stock cracking off is a common issues on the nitro specials. From a parts a mechanical standpoint, they are very simple guns and many parts can be had. Firing pins can break. The gun should not be dry fired. The intros are single bolted through the rib extension and they are prone to loosening up.
If this gun works well now, then it should serve you well for a long time.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gave on of my grandsons a pir of them when he showed an intereest is doubles. Gave him a 12 and a 16 and he just loves them. If I were to find a 20 for that price I'd buy it for him. Young man is working 40/wk plus going to school and married. I really admire him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.