April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Gunning Bird, Der Ami, ClapperZapper, Hal M Hare, 2 invisible), 213 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,461
Posts545,005
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 34 of 57 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 56 57
Sidelock
Sidelock

Montana Rooster and Parker VH12

Belle retrieving Montana Sharptail

My French Brittanys Molly, Ginger, and myself, with a Montana sharptail and a Parker VH 12 with 30" barrels.

Dick and Bruce with Dick's Gordon Setter and Bruce's Llewlyn setter and a Montana Sharptail

Eight Montana huns taken one morning by my Brittanys and myself. Same Parker VH12

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 11/25/12 11:31 PM. Reason: Per JRB's request I added captions for the last three pictures

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike--How 'bout some captions for the last three pics? smile Thanks Mike. smile

Last edited by J.R.B.; 11/26/12 07:41 AM. Reason: Thanking Mike for the captions

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Aussie, nice pics. What loads do you use on those pigeons, and what distances are they shot at? I have found that, inside 20 yds., 3 1/4 - 1 1/8 - 8 will reliably down a pigeon, but at 30+ it can be a whole 'nuther ball game. Old pigeons can be tough birds to kill cleanly.

I would probably use a 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 - 6 load if I could only use one. Live pigeon shoots here limit shot size to nothing larger than 7 1/2.

SRH

Believe it or not Stan years ago I used a .22 caliber Benjamin air rifle for pigeons. At night when the filthy things were roosting in the hay loft of my neighbor's barn the old guy would get his two grandsons and together the four of us would shine them with flashlights. The old guy always took them home and his wife roasted the things. I could never get the gumption to eat one.

Aussie
Unregistered
Aussie
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Stan
Aussie, nice pics. What loads do you use on those pigeons, and what distances are they shot at? I have found that, inside 20 yds., 3 1/4 - 1 1/8 - 8 will reliably down a pigeon, but at 30+ it can be a whole 'nuther ball game. Old pigeons can be tough birds to kill cleanly.

I would probably use a 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 - 6 load if I could only use one. Live pigeon shoots here limit shot size to nothing larger than 7 1/2.

SRH

Hi Stan,

I have done a lot of pigeon shooting over the years and most of it is over decoys. Range is anything from 15-42 yards with occasional exceptions + -.
I have definitely settled on the same 'recipe' as my old friend W.M. who for some time averaged approx. 10,000 pigeons a year.

When I am serious I shoot two different cartridges;

Over decoys- 1oz size seven through 8 thou in the right barrel & 1 1/16 oz size six through 15 thou in the left.

You may notice that all of my guns are double trigger with the exception of a Beretta 471. I much prefer double triggers & on the further away birds (30y +) I don't bother with the font trigger, but have one shot with the left barrel. If I miss, good luck to the bird, he has beaten me!

When roost shooting or similar, the only changes I make are to increase the 1st barrel load to 1 1/16 oz size 7 and increase choke to 13 or 15 thou right barrel and 20 thou left.

Birds are killed well with few 'walkers'.

Cartridges are around 1250 fps and 6000 to 6800 psi. with hard shot (Ballantine Aust.).

Heaviest gun is 6lb 14oz except for Dad's old Parker (7lb 8oz) but I rarely use it as I don't gel with its balance.

The Garbi I tried out on Sat. has only 4 & 9 points of choke and although results were not quite as efficient as usual, I was pleasantly surprised with its effectiveness. Think I'll leave it in the safe till quail season though.

Cheers, and thanks for the interest.

Aussie

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
Dick and Bruce with Dick's Gordon Setter and Bruce's Llewlyn setter and a Montana Sharptail

Typical Gordon. Always looking for just a little bit more. And in mid-air, too.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

29,000 views and more than 300 replies and not a discerning word. What a great board to participate on.

Great pics Mike, but why did you not call when you were out here. We might have been close enough to shake hands. In fact, Daryl could have brought you up here when he came to hunt.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RCC
29,000 views and more than 300 replies and not a discerning word. What a great board to participate on.

You're right RCC. This is one of the best threads I've ever participated in any forum I belong to. Thanks for starting it Greg. smile

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tess now 4, is the youngest in my string and the back up for my main dog Shelby. This photo of her marking where a bunch of birds lit down on the creek, shows how much she looks like most of the Dare To Dream FC daughters.

The creek bottom they lit in.

Here she retrieves the first of the three birds she work up out of that bunch.

And finally the rest after we harvested our limit, before the deadhead back to the rig.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like you guys had some nice weather in Montana for this time of year. What was the temperature?

Great pictures! Congrats on your successful hunt!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RCC

Like the song says: "...it ain't nuthin' but a party..."

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Page 34 of 57 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 56 57

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.