April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (CJF, graybeardtmm3, Jimmy W), 978 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello All,

Since this forum has been a good source of information in the past, perhaps someone can help with information about a rifle that I recently acquired.

Its an Alex Henry Takedown Single Shot rifle in 450-BPE. It is cased with an original scope and reloading tools & accessories. Serial Number is 5828.

I got this in a trade deal and I'm not familiar with this rifle maker and his rifles and would like to find out as much as possible; like how common or rare is it, when was it made, who made the scope, how are the loading tools and accessories used, etc. I would also would like to find the value.

I've posted some pictures.

If there is any more you need to know, please ask.

I patiently await any replys.

regards,

Buck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Uncommonly nice. Something like this is my holy grail. Have been searching for awhile. I am envious. Congrats.

The most common caliber is the .450.
#5861 was made in 1885 in .55 3".

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 11/08/12 05:42 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Mike,

How is it you know that sn 5861 was produced in 1885? Would that suggest that mine was made in the same year or earlier?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck I have Wal Winfer's book #1 British Single Shot Rifles (Alex Henry). A very good book as is the whole series. Tons of info in there. I also have Kirton's "The British Falling Block Breechloading Rifle From 1865". Another great book. I probably can't afford it but if you decide to sell I'd appreciate first crack.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow ! ... that's about all I can say is wow !

I can't add much more than what Mike wrote above. Nice, simple border engraving, but the fact that you have the case, scope and tools is very impressive. These are often lost over time.

Scan eBay or the internet and find a copy of Wal Winfer's book Vol.1 British Single Shot Rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No kidding - Wow! Terribly inadequate but so is any other word in the English language.

It really must go elk hunting. I volunteer to take it smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Mike and Joe,

I've talked with Tom Rowe and will be getting a copy of the book some time next week. Can you tell me the name if the scope maker listed in the book that made scopes for the Alex Henry Rifles?

I doubt I'll ever try shooting the rifle with this old scope because it has only about 1/2" eye relief. The eye piece is spring loaded and moves into the scope body. I assume this is to protect the eye, but it only moves about 1/8" which I doubt is enough to keep from hitting your eye ball.

I have the opinion that the reason this rifle is in such wonderful condition, is that the shooter was likely blinded with the "first shot" and never shot it again. smirk

I've added some pictures below of the accessories and tools, but don't know what some of them are for. If you know, please tell me.

SCOPE:

PAPER PATCH BULLET MOLD: (numbered to the gun)

RE-DECAPPER:

CASE RESIZING TOOL: (not sure)

POWDER MEASURE: (marked 4-1/4 Dram)

EBONY HANDLES TOOLS: (first is numbered to the gun - don't know what it is)

THIRD TOOL FROM ABOVE: (has a small cutter in the stem - don't know what it is)

OIL BOTTLE:

EBONY CLEANING ROD:

Sidelock
Sidelock

You didn't say what you traded for this, but it must have been something very special indeed, as this rifle and its cased contents certainly are grand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the kind of rifle Ross Seyfried would do a big article about in Double Gun and Single Shot Journal.

Gorgeous, absolutely beyond description gorgeous. The name doesn't hurt a thing either. Top drawer.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely, that is indeed a rifle that deserves to have it's story told in a detailed article by someone who is a good writer and understands these old rifles well enough to get it shooting again and then tell it's story. Can you do that? Ross Seyfried has given us a number of articles on similar rifles and would be a candidate perhaps, although there are others, or maybe you have other plans. We all would like to know the story.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.