April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, R. Glenz), 365 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,170
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
hot rod Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need help, im buying what i think is a 80s s686 special "lightweight" I thought i was buying just a plain old modern 686 but now im not sure. Still want the gun but just want to double check with anyone with knowledge about these guns. It has the "L" in gold on the trigger guard which designates it the "lightweight" variant of the regualr s686 special. Has anyone seen, handled, or have an opinion on the quality of these guns? I have read on another forum that the lightweight variant could be quite rare. I cant seem to find much info on the web about this gun at all. Its around 6.5 lbs and can take a 3 in magnum. Gun will be in the mail soon. Here's some pics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That looks a lot like a S57E 12b. I used to have. Bought it new in 1971 for US$256.- Miss it.

I should mention it was very light and beat the c**p out of my shoulder.

JC

Last edited by JayCee; 11/01/12 12:23 PM.

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned one of these from new in 1981, which my dad bought for me as a gift, it is one of my favourite guns (ok, the wood is plain as hell and has very thick polyurethane finish to the degree the stock looks like it is made of plastic). This was the model that replaced the 57E.
In my opinion, the level of metal finish and quality of how everything fits together on this gun is far better than any lower grade Beretta made in the last 10 years.

hot rod Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the reply. Im hoping this gun is in the 6lbs range for long pheasant hunts. Fletch, is your in that range?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mine is chambered for 70mm, so please check before you put 3in Mag through it.

Also, here in Europe, I always thought the 'L' was for Luxe, in terms of deluxe finish not lightweight. I could be wrong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

hot rod:

I have two S685's that I bought new in the early 80's.....I've shot thousands of rounds through them all over the world without a hitch.........wonderful guns, lightweight and balanced perfect IMO.......

My 20 is 3" chambered while the 12 is 2.75" chambered, both selective modified and full ......they'll digest any ammo you put in them, cheap or max, foreign or domestic.........chrome lined bores good for ball/buck shot as well......killed a lot of coyotes with these......

You will love the gun I am sure, great purchase, congratulations.......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

What generates the light weight? Alloy receiver? Light barrels?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "L" stands for lusso, not lightweight. As shown in the 1990 and 1991 Beretta catalogs, it is a steel framed 686 with an engraved, silver receiver and slightly higher grade wood than the standard 686 Onyx of that time. The 1992 catalog begins calling that same model the Silver Pigeon.

hot rod Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all the replies. I kind of gave up on this thread.
Bluestem, thanks for the info. Many other sites claim L stands for lightweight, now i know.

Doug, nice guns.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.