April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (fab500, Craigster, ClapperZapper, Chad Linder, Argo44, earlyriser), 474 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,154
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As promised, photos of the mechanisms:

The ejector selector with sliding block in non-eject position:

The ejector selector in kit form:

The grip safety mechanism viewed from above:

Grip safety compressed and safety off:

Grip safety uncompressed and safety on:

Long view of the grip safety showing the pivot on the trigger guard for the hand lever, safety on:

If anyone is concerned about the 'safety' of this mechanism, remember, the only safe gun is an unloaded one!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby,
Thanks for sharing the pics of the mechanism. Extremely interesting arrangement there. Is there a patent number assigned to the ejector system?

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice one Toby.

In both cases, simple but effective.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is neat. If you go deeper into the internals please post pics of those too. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Toby Barclay
remember, the only safe gun is an unloaded one!

Interesting gun, Toby, and an interesting statement following. But, I totally disagree with it. Gun safety has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the gun is loaded. It has everything to do with handling of the gun. A gun pointed in a safe direction is safe, regardless of whether it is loaded or unloaded. Is an automobile with gasoline (petrol) in the tank automatically unsafe?

Thanks for posting the pics.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/06/12 06:20 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fascinating.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I would like carrying a grip-safety gun in the field, possibly except when shooting from a fixed stand like in a driven shoot. While walking and hunting I like to hold my guns tightly with my trigger (left) hand and somewhat more loosely with my forearm hand. In that context, a grip safety spells trouble to me.

On the target range, the grip safety would be no more and no less safe than the conventional and possibly a bit more convenient.

Now, the big question - this kind of selective ejector function seems quite uncommon but also quite useful. Why hasn't anyone else adopted it?

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LeFusil
The ejector box is Deeley's ejectors patent no. 4289 of 1886, the selective bit was never patented as far as I know and anyway they would have had a heck of a time trying to make it stick!

Stan
I was paraphrasing that great self-publicist WW Greener who is famous for producing a show gun, the St George's Gun, that besides not having any chequering, also no safety catch to make the point as above.
I don't want to get into a row about this but I disagree on your point. A loaded gun can fail in use, blow up in your hands, be knocked out of your hands by a falling pheasant (yes, it has happened!)- an unloaded gun can only break your toe!
I agree that gun handing is extremely important and can make a loaded gun much safer but never totally safe. Your analogy of a car with fuel is not pertinent, if so I could leave my gun on the table, loaded, as long as it was pointing in the right direction when I walked away.IMHO

Dave in Maine
Couldn't agree more!
As to its adoption: it has been available through the decades on a few guns, either as an optional extra or standard feature eg some Baikal guns and I think some Lauronas but it has never been popular as far as I know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That was quite an unusual accident, Toby, getting hit by a falling pheasant and dropping your gun! I have had a falling Canada goose nearly hit me, and have caught doves many times with one hand as they fell after my shot. But, never had one knock my gun out of my hands.

We're on the same page, as far as gun safety I think. More than likely just a difference in our definitions of a safe gun.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once owned a Syracuse Arms Co, A grade 20ga which had ejectors which could be turned on or off by a switch in the forend. Also early forend ejectors on the Lefever Arms Co guns had this feature as did some ejector guns from the D M Lefever Co.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.