April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (FlyChamps, LeFusil, Hugh Lomas, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 1,073 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,136
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all - long time reader, first time poster. I've spent a lot of time here trying to learn about a sxs that I bought a few years ago; would very much appreciate your insights and corrections. Hope the pictures aren't too big and the blathering isn't too much; we've gotten a little cabin feverish already while staying in from the storm.

As background, I have a thing for Irish guns, although usually not enough coin for the really nice ones so no Dublin blunderbusses or cased Trulock pistols, etc - but a nice lot to enjoy. The RIC is pretty original, the ER-prefix #1 needs wood & nose cap, of course. I don't worry too much about returning a military arm to original configuration once it's been messed with like that #1.

The Braddell is another story. While the screw heads say it's been a little messed with I'm not going to dig into it past a field strip and cleaning with oil & toothbrush. Here's what I think I know about it, and I'd love to learn more about who might have made it and what next steps make sense.

While worn in places and clearly knocked about some the action is very tight. Some dings and pitting in the barrels. Top rib reads "J. Braddell & Son Castle Place Belfast." Definitely restocked, but the forearm looks original based on wear. The engraving seems pretty substantial, but I've got no idea whether this was a high quality piece or just a fancied up commodity. 3-iron oxford if I'm reading the damascus right?

Proof marks say London, 1875-87:

Water table has limited markings, but also London. 5375 is the Braddell serial - I'm betting that the other number is the maker's serial?

From what I've read, Braddell likely bought their components at this time (if not completed guns) from Bentley & Playfair - in fact, after the elder Braddell's death the business was owned by Charles Playfair, son of the B'ham gunmaker. They did make guns (Bulldog revolvers, for sure, maybe shotguns), though.

Why the London proofs if it's a Bentley & Playfair or other trade gun? I suppose that an enterprising Birmingham maker would (for a fee) run one's guns down to London as part of building them to your spec, so that they had the London gun cachet?

Even though I bought this as a curio,for the name & origin, I'd like to know if it's got particular value to insure. Haven't seen many sales to gauge value by, and there are so many factors that determine double gun value. I suspect it's a mid-line trade gun worth at best the $750 I paid for it but then again, there's the blind pig and the acorn to consider...

Regardless, I'll have it serviced and inspected to shoot. If a trade gun and not shootable perhaps have the barrels etched before it goes on the wall? Even middling damascus can look pretty good as art.

Thanks for your consideration!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd say you are right on the Bentley and Playfair origin. The Deeley use number could tell a bit of a story if Westley Richards files were available. They required delivery of such guns to their premisis for inspection and stamping, before the guns were finished up. Lots of Birmingham guns with London proofs for the reasons one might guess. It could have just been handier, or requested.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You have to measure the bores,walls and chokes before you can value this gun

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the advice, Justin - it'll take a while to get but I'll update the thread when available.

Darryl - thanks for the lesson about use numbers, most interesting. Are those records actually available?

Last edited by Paddy Garcia; 10/29/12 11:36 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do not know if Westley Richards still has those records. Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that Braddell records may exist. Maybe a business of that name existed late into the 1900s in Ireland.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some Braddell records are available, contact them here:

http://www.braddells.co.uk/

If a ledger entry exists, it could point to Bentley & Playfair for the source of the gun, but then again Osbourne and Tolley also built guns for Braddell.

I have done a lot of research on the Playfair family (Aberdeen and Birmingham) and one mystery is Charles Playfair's (III) connection with Ireland. We know Bentley and Playfair were supplying to Braddells but Charles also took time to buy a secondary home in Ireland, marry an Irish girl and they had two daughters with strong Irish first names, both born in Belfast, Ireland.

With records and family members long gone, one can only speculate if there was any connection between Playfairs new Irish family heritage and acquiring the trade business and finally buying Braddells outright.

Is it mere coincidence that Braddells are in Belfast and Charles second home and children were born there?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Paddy Garcia
I suspect it's a mid-line trade gun worth at best the $750 I paid for it but then again, there's the blind pig and the acorn to consider...

The pig goes hungry this time...

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's more likely a Westley Richards action from the first two or three years after Anson & Deeley took out their patent. I've only ever seen the round/cylindrical ends to the cocking levers on WR actions, also the Westley Top lever arrangement was only used by them at that time. Suggest you strip carefully and look for other patents identified.I have a Thos Turner from same era which has 5 different W.R. patents listed on components.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hugh Lomas +1

This gun is before Bentley and Playfairs involvement with Braddells.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

@Daryl, Braddell is a going concern for general sporting goods. Web site says that most of their records were lost in a fire at the Castle Place building, but I have an email in with them. I've read that the current business doesn't much care for these sorts of questions, though.

@Fletchedpair, Braddell themselves mention that Charles owned the business (http://www.braddells.co.uk/about.htm), so making his home in Belfast seems right - or are you curious which came first, buying the business or making the family? That would be a good story.

@Hugh, I'm not brave enough to turn the screws but will ask whoever ends up servicing it for pics and follow up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.