May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (mark, CJF, prairie ghost, FlyChamps, Themauserkid), 335 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,031
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BPGuy
Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
Sorry, but if you can't carry a 6-1/2 lb gun with one hand you need to spend your time in the gym, not in a bird cover.

Spoken like a man who hasn't been diagnosed with polyarticular osteo-arthritis in his hands, elbows and shoulders.

Thanks for the sympathy.

You're right, I haven't, and I'm sorry that you have. My post was slightly tongue in cheek and certainly not intended to defame anyone with a disability.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

My guess is that most grouse hunting in Nova Scotia is guys like me out for a stroll on trails or fairly open places. With dogs, less so. It was a real eye-opener when an Alabama friend asked if I knew of good grouse habitat. He hunts quail down there and snipe, grouse and woodcock in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, all with a 28.

With me and his dog Rebel, he headed straight into alders and popple. I had no idea what he was doing and prefer my lackadaisical, gun-at-ready stroll with my sniffy Lab. Weight is important so I usually carry a SKB o/u 20, other times a light 1899 12ga Francotte IC/M 26-inch barrels owned by Charlie Billings of New York, captain of the 1912 US Olympic trap team. It's a sweet grouse and duck gun for an old man.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buzz is dead on there. The gun is usually held at the ready most of the day. That's probably why you see so many old and worn out looking 16 gauge doubles up here. smile
After holding the gun 'at the ready' for so long you're almost thankful when you get to a clearing in the woods, so to speak, and you can finally relax a bit knowing there isn't a bird there. Right then as soon as you relax knowing there can't be a bird in there and you finally convince yourself of that fact, at that very moment almost on que, that's when they bust out on you. I guess that's why you say the first is for fun all the rest is for revenge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, the arthritis thing will diminish your physical prowess like you won't believe.At 55 I could still press 275 overhead and now I can't even press the 45 pound bar without a lot of pain and juggling it around.My girl friend has more strength in her hands than I can muster and has to open the jars of peanut butter.Still can pick up quite a bit from the floor but anything overhead or to the shoulder is problematical.Hurt my shoulder yesterday making a hard right turn and thought I was going to have to call for assistance.I used to laugh at the "old" guys griping about their aches and pains too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PA24
Originally Posted By: Bob Cash

Points like the finger of God

Whatever turns ya on......

Yeah, a 21 comes around like a 747 on steroids.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/30/12 05:19 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK Chuck, you win!
What kind of dog is that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't think this one has much in common with that piggy airplane, or a squatting elephant for that matter. I kind of like it -- especially showing off Ray Cover's work. Wish I knew even a little about taking photos, this is the best I could do with my cheap auto-focus and no clue.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

What ever that dog is Bob, Chuck is going to need more than the Sunday Times to paper train him.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's an E-Pointer...Elephant Pointer that is.

Just yankin all you 21 fan's chain. I wouldn't mind having a nice 20ga 21, having shot a few.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.