April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (welder, andygt, skeettx, Tim in PA, 2 invisible), 1,263 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Talk about a sick feeling last week one of my ejector heads broke off at the stem....I told my buddy in Virginia that my Scott was probably out of service for the rest of the year. frown

I dropped the gun off Friday at my friend Ken Owens and picked it up yesterday (the next Monday).

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is good to see a gun story that turns out better than good.

I only wish all trips to the smith went that quickly

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,

FWIW, I had a similar experience with a favorite Daly 20 dove shooter. My good friend & gunsmith, Ron Coleman, annealed it & had it TIG welded by another individual using a mild steel rod & then he stoned the weld back to the original dimension & rehardened it, a coupla times, before he was happy with the colour before quenching. That was years ago, now. I have fired more rounds through that gun than I want to put in print & it remains just fine to this day. I suspect it was a tad harder than required in it's initial iteration .. & THAT is why it broke in the first place. The dressed weld remains visible to this day in the form of discoloration on the stem and I consider it a badge of proper welding and more importantly, great gunsmithing!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I dropped the gun off Friday at my friend Ken Owens and picked it up yesterday (the next Monday).

No pressure, Ken....the rest of us are willing to wait 3-4 days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just told my gunsmith that has had my Alex Henry for 40 months to rebarrel that I'm picking it up this weekend. He actually asked me why I wasn't going to let him finish it. (He hasn't even started it yet.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Talk about a sick feeling last week one of my ejector heads broke off at the stem....I told my buddy in Virginia that my Scott was probably out of service for the rest of the year. frown

astonishing service !! best

Sidelock
Sidelock

Slowest and fastest were both with the same Gunsmith. Renovation of a Gibbs and Pitt patent gun; 17 years! Replace broken firing pin on a hammer gun; 20 minutes as a while you wait job. Which wasn't bad as I watched him file the shape out from scatch, harden and then fit it. Lagopus....

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Slowest and fastest were both with the same Gunsmith. Renovation of a Gibbs and Pitt patent gun; 17 years! Replace broken firing pin on a hammer gun; 20 minutes as a while you wait job. Which wasn't bad as I watched him file the shape out from scatch, harden and then fit it. Lagopus....

There's got to be a story behind the Gibbs and Pitt job. It sounds like a story of persistence (his) and patience (yours). Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken Owens is definitely someone who you are lucky to (a) call as a friend and (b) live close enough to drop by.

My 2 or 3 experiences with him and his work showed me he is definitely someone who (a) does GREAT work and (b) is as nice a fellow you'd ever want to talk to/do business with

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, it was a gun given to me in a fairly poor state. He sorted the barrels and made a new mainspring for one of the locks and sent it in for blackpowder re-proof; which it passed, and then put the project to one side because he had difficulties working out the correct piece to lock thr gun closed. This model had gone through numerous changes and it wasn't clear how to sort it properly. It just got put to one side. He did lots of other work for me in the interim but this never quite got done. I wasn't too bothered then eventually he called me to say it was finished. I worked it out at 17 years! Lagopus.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.