May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (WBLDon, SKB, LGF, bushveld, 1 invisible), 283 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,560
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fire ants really hurt the quail in Georgia! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fire ants really hurt in Alabama also.When the Armadillos came in,I hoped they would eat the ants,but it looks like they will eat every quail egg they can find.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone has their own opinion about where the quail went. From fire-ants, to cow-birds, to armadillos, to turkeys, to pine monocultures, to fencerow to fencerow farming, and on and on.

I think its just too many people living everywhere and developing everything. No diversity of habitat (edges).

Instead we have fragmented habitat which may be fine in small tracts, but without the capacity (room) to allow the "spring breakup" of the related coveys and mixing of unrelated individuals to reliably rear healthy young. Now you have yet another random opinion!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

My opinion wasn't' random. All I mentioned has come from Missouri Dept. of Conservation at one time or another. Usually if it makes sense there's more than an element of truth to it...same as what you said, that makes sense.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Everyone has their own opinion about where the quail went. From fire-ants, to cow-birds, to armadillos, to turkeys, to pine monocultures, to fencerow to fencerow farming, and on and on.

I think its just too many people living everywhere and developing everything. No diversity of habitat (edges).

Instead we have fragmented habitat which may be fine in small tracts, but without the capacity (room) to allow the "spring breakup" of the related coveys and mixing of unrelated individuals to reliably rear healthy young. Now you have yet another random opinion!...Geo

Well said, George.

As a production row-crop farmer I see this issue from both sides, literally. It grieves me to see what has happened to quail in my beloved South. OTOH, it grieves me to see how much farmland is being lost to urban sprawl every year, heck, every day. As Geo. said, human population is increasing at an alarming rate. People must be fed. That requires farmland to produce it. For every acre lost to residences and shopping malls an acres' worth of production must come from somewhere else. This is only possible by two means. An acre of land must be put into production that previously was not, or yields per acre have to increase.

When the choice is people paying very high food prices for short supplies of food, or quail habitat being put into production, you know who loses. Gentleman Bob. The pine forested land like Adam shows, that his family was leasing and lost, is not typical of the pine land being put back into production across the South. That land in the pictures was being managed for quail, to some degree or another. Most of the pine land being put back into production agriculture is pine plantations, which are a virtual desert for wildlife of any kind, with the possible exception of fox squirrels. Row crop agriculture will actually be better for the game and gamebirds than pine plantations with 700 trees per acre and absolutely no food production for quail.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is no one reason for the decline and no one answer to fix the problem. All of the issues mentioned above have played a role. HOWEVER, in my part of the country, habitat loss and degradation are the #1 reasons.

Here is a satellite image showing the area around our lease. You can see that nearly the entire area is covered in irrigated farmland. In the "dry corners" of the fields you'll find pastures of thick bermuda grass or densely planted pines. The pines, if managed properly, can provide excellent cover for quail... but that rarely happens. So it is clear to see why bobwhites have declined. They have nowhere to live because the landscape is dominated by three types of cover.... farmland, pasture grasses, or dense pine plantations. The blocks of pineywoods that are left are the only areas the birds have left. And as you can see in my first post, the last remaining sections are slowly being cut and converted. It's not a pretty picture.

This video sums it up pretty well. Stan, it primarily talking about your neck of the woods... Burke County GA. But these facts hold true across the South and much of the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRc-ojnMd...mp;feature=plcp

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right on, Adam. Quality Wildlife Services was started and is owned and operated by a dear old friend of mine, Jim Evans. He developed the Anchor Covey Release System, and has marketed it for many years now. Jim is the most knowledgable man about the Bobwhite Quail that I have ever known.

I am just about to call him for some advice on how to handle a pine plantation that I clear cut last Spring. I'll tell him you posted the link.

Thanks, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The satellite photo unflinchingly illustrates what thousands of words try to describe. As for population expansion in Georgia, in 1970, there were approximately 4.5 million folks. In 2010, 9.6 million. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

You think they ate them all....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
You think they ate them all....

Dunno jOe, but I ate my share!...Geo

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.