May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sandlapper, PALUNC, fallschirmjaeger, Jtplumb, smlekid, 1 invisible), 1,200 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,659
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

$75/hr for a stock maker? Ridiculous. No wonder our country is sinking fast.

A major manufacturing company - with millions of capital investment in tools, facilities, and degreed talent - is charging around $100/hr in today's world. So some guy in his garage with 10 grand in tools brings $75?

R_W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Update:

I'd like to post pics of the gun that was to be sent back to me last week, but surprise surprise, it is not yet finished. After taking the initiative to reach out again to Macon, it would seem that my 425 awaits final inspection by management before it can be shipped.

Will post pics upon receipt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

R_W - Did you tell Macon of this thread as leverage, to perhaps get better work than you have reason to expect? Just wondering if that might be why the owner is checking it before shipping?

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GregSY
$75/hr for a stock maker? Ridiculous. No wonder our country is sinking fast.

A major manufacturing company - with millions of capital investment in tools, facilities, and degreed talent - is charging around $100/hr in today's world. So some guy in his garage with 10 grand in tools brings $75?

Actually, this is exactly how our country is suppose to work. If a guy is charging $75 an hour and is turning out junk, he is not going to be in business long. Just because that is what he charges, it doesn't mean someone has to pay him that.

I know a gunmaker who virtually has nothing invested in tooling or overhead. He works in a small room in the back of his house with hand tools he bought at a flea market or made himself. Simple power tools have been repaired over repairs. He doesn't turn out anything that you can buy for under five figures, and you won't live long enough to be at the top of his work list.

Some of the most skilled craftsmen in the world work out of their garages. The amount of money you have invested in your work or business is absolutely irrelevant, it's what people will actually pay you for that work is the only thing that matters.

Now for Macon gunstocks...I think most of the posters in this thread will let you know what his work is worth.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
R_W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jay,

I did indeed forward the link to this thread to Vicki at Macon. I did so figuring I may be putting myself in a bad situation considering they still have my property, but then realized I've been without it so long what could be worse?

Originally Posted By: Gunflint Charlie
R_W - Did you tell Macon of this thread as leverage, to perhaps get better work than you have reason to expect? Just wondering if that might be why the owner is checking it before shipping?

Jay

R_W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Northbrook, IL, United States 10/01/2012 6:48 A.M. Out For Delivery

pics to follow.....

R_W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is what you get for $450, plus 80 bucks in shipping everything twice:

Given the hassle to date, I'd say the finished product exceeds expectations. More proud in some areas. Decent grain and a nice oil finish. Checkering is sharp. It is definitely heavier compared to the OEM Browning stock it replaced but that could be a good thing for a 30" clays gun. I'll take it out next week and see.

Sidelock
Sidelock

it appears better than what I would expect too, and while heavier it seems a decent value for the dollar

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not bad at all and being left proud the wood can be refinished without going below the metal.I am surprised. I had one of their men here a few years ago looking at my supply of wood but we never cut a deal.

R_W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shot sporting clays today, have to say I like it better.

I can not deny the checkering makes for a better grip on the forearm. Way sharper. Also, the part I was most concerned about, larger palm swell and overall heftier but stock, makes for an awesome mount and hold.

End of thread:

If things were done right by Macon the first time, delays were not, communication was timely, sent parts weren't damaged and this didn't take a year, we'd be talking about how good this transaction was.

Thanks for your attention,

rwk

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.