May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (prairie ghost, Replacement, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#294801 09/26/12 01:29 PM
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Somewhere in the recent past, I had seen a Shotgun Dimensions Chart that allowed one to measure Drop at Comb, Drop at Heel, etc., by positioning a shotgun on it.
I have been unable to locate it by searching on the internet. Does anyone here know where I might find it?
Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are a few ways, you can lay the gun receiver up so that the barrels are resting flat on a table and take those measurements.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

These may help if you want a chart. Sounds like you are looking for a gauge.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a slightly simpler version:

Chart

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Here is a slightly simpler version:

Chart

Dover- have you ever had them do any work, in particular rust blueing? How, in your opinion, do they compare with NECG?

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Thank you all, but I know how to do the actual measurements.
I'm specifically looking for a flat, large, printed piece of paper, that allowed one to simply place the shotgun on the paper, at specific points and get all of the appropriate measurements by simply reading them off of the chart. There were lines delineating the actual Drop at Heel, etc. with individual lines notated as 1.5" / 1.75" / 2.0", etc. No rulers necessary. It looked to be a much simpler and quicker approach to getting all of the measurements.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I agree with you that such a "Piece of Paper" could take the place of all of these expensive and ridiculously complicated gauges. I have never seen one offered commercially, but someone should make and sell one. Your idea works as well as anything else and you could carry it to a gun show or auction with little hassle. To add to my comments, none of these British charts take into account the height or dimension of the shooter's cheekbone and its location in relation to the eye, the most important part of fitting a shotgun. Of course, the Brits want us to shoot while standing on one foot, so what would we expect? The Brits are great shooters, but probably pay no attention to their gunfitters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My shooting student and double gun mentor Joe Wood taught me how to measure the DAH and DAC with a tape measure. He holds the gun in the vertical and sets the muzzle on a piece of paper on the floor. He looks down the rib and moves the gun back and forth until the front of the rib is in line with the back. He holds the tape measure perpendicular to the line of sight, puts the end on the comb, and notes the point where the line-of-sight of the rib intersects the tape measure, that point is the drop at comb. Does the same for the heel.

At first it sounds complicated and difficult. But it is not. Give it a try.

By setting the muzzles on a table and standing back from the butt about three feet and looking down the rib I can spot cast off and toe out and can guess at measurements.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/26/12 08:14 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Then I would assume you don't have much use for the "chart", or maybe you still want it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Then I would assume you don't have much use for the "chart", or maybe you still want it.

Are you asking AmarilloMike or Mike the Bear?

I am glad to be here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.