April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Or to carry it one step further, what's a .577 Snider Double Rifle good for?

I only ask because I see Kirby Hoyt's got a very pretty one for sale. No, I am NOT going to buy it, but it just got me to wondering what someone would actually use it for. I hear/read about .577 BPE and NE guns quite a bit from all the people who love them, and there does seem to be a lot for each one.

I'm sure there must be a cult following out there for the little Snider and I fully expect to get flamed, tarred & feathered, etc. But I'd be interested in hearing from you if you are a member.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One way to look at it is that it was THE military man-stopping cartridge of the era, like the .577/.450 later, the .303 later still, then 7.62... similarly the .45/70 etc; so similar sized game to what those cartridges have been adapted to shoot by civilians would be the kind I'd chase with that cartridge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you think it would be suitable for hog hunting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you put it in the right spot you can kill hogs with a .22.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In it's day, the 577 Snider had a lot of respect, and it killed a lot of the "Big 5".

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Did it really? Whew, any one of those 5 is a big job. The shooters must have had nerves of steel and supreme confidence in their ability to place their shot(s).

Not saying I doubt your word, but do you know of any literature wherein such feats are mentioned? Again, I'm not "calling you out", I'm just looking for some good reading.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krakow Kid,
It sure did,all you have to do is read the exploits of the old time hunters and their Askaris?.Read especially about the old poachers that used natives in addition to shooting themselves.Also pay attention to the slave traders that captured or bought slaves and used them to carry the tusks from elephants killed by natives.Pay attention to the Boers,as well as Brits that started out poor and shot what they could find.To find this,forget about tales of safaris by rich folks in the 50s&60s.
What they had was a rifle that would shoot fixed ammo that they could buy cheap or steal;when before,they had to shoot some old ML.You are comparing the 577 with modern magnums, while they compared it with an old ML that may or may not shoot when things got "sticky". Also a leopard is in the Big 5 and it's not so big.Read everything you can find.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Many Thanks, Der Ami.

Interesting array of snider shooters. I'll probably start with the Boers. Way back in 1990 I got interested in surplus Mausers, which led me to investigate their various histories. Of note was the Boer War, a fascinating time.

Also, a leopard might not be so big, but from what I understand it can be a mighty tough animal to test your nerve!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krakow Kid,
The Boer Wars(2 different ones) were interesting times, but you need to go back before then and read about the "Trecks"? and the settlement of the Transvaal and Orange Free State. We somehow get the idea that only British WH(PH) and their clients ever killed any thing in Africa.Settlers,farmers,and natives had to use whatever they could to protect their families and livestock.Pygmies in the Ituri killed elephants with a little bitty bow and arrow.Sometimes it only took 2or3 days for the poison to work.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Again, Thanks for the tip, Der Ami, it is appreciated.

Can you recommend any particular book?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Beagle
Do you think it would be suitable for hog hunting?

I have taken boar, deer and black bear with a 45-70. The 577 is basically the same round with the same limitations. The most difficult part would be to assemble all the equipment and supplies to reload it.

Here is Steve with a bison taken using a 577 snider:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post63531

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, let me say right here and now that I have a new-found respect for the .577 Snider. Comparable to the .45-70 is all that I need to know as that is a round I have an old soft spot for, along with my Ruger #1 that is its mate.

There's a lesson here. Not being familiar with the snider I looked it up in Barnes' book. His comment that it is "not very practical for American hunting" steered me to relegate this round to the "plinker" category.

Although I have a lot of respect for Mr Barnes, I nonetheless should not base an opinion on his, or any other's, opinion. Empirical evidence of my own should be the cardinal rule. I can't speak about something I've no experience whatsoever with.

Many Thanks for the post and the link, Pete. That's a beautiful gun and a beautiful animal. Amen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve uses 70 grain of FG to push a 500 grain slug. That certainly fits right in for the old 45-70 loads. So, if you can live with the trajectory...

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post112089

If it can stop a buffalo, it will handle anything in North America. While not my choice for brown bear, it would do the job.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krakow Kid,
You asked for reading references.I have been reading too long to be able to give a complete list. The following is just a few,in no particular order,and without any review to see if any contain references to the subject in question:
Illustrated History of South Africa-Readers Digest
African Adventurers -Capstick
After Big Game in Central Africa-Edouard Foa
The Recollections of William Finaughty,Elephant Hunter,1864-1875
African Jungle Memories-J.E.Burger
African Nature Notes and Reminiscences-F.C.Selous
King of the WaKikuyu-John Boyes
Ivory-Sanchez
Elephant Hunters of the Lado-Foran
The Story of an African Farm-Olive Schreiner
Enjoy,
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, you're a prince! MANY Thanks for the reading list. There's a long winter coming up and I like to be ready.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.