April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Beagle
Do you think it would be suitable for hog hunting?

I have taken boar, deer and black bear with a 45-70. The 577 is basically the same round with the same limitations. The most difficult part would be to assemble all the equipment and supplies to reload it.

Here is Steve with a bison taken using a 577 snider:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post63531

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, let me say right here and now that I have a new-found respect for the .577 Snider. Comparable to the .45-70 is all that I need to know as that is a round I have an old soft spot for, along with my Ruger #1 that is its mate.

There's a lesson here. Not being familiar with the snider I looked it up in Barnes' book. His comment that it is "not very practical for American hunting" steered me to relegate this round to the "plinker" category.

Although I have a lot of respect for Mr Barnes, I nonetheless should not base an opinion on his, or any other's, opinion. Empirical evidence of my own should be the cardinal rule. I can't speak about something I've no experience whatsoever with.

Many Thanks for the post and the link, Pete. That's a beautiful gun and a beautiful animal. Amen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve uses 70 grain of FG to push a 500 grain slug. That certainly fits right in for the old 45-70 loads. So, if you can live with the trajectory...

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post112089

If it can stop a buffalo, it will handle anything in North America. While not my choice for brown bear, it would do the job.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Krakow Kid,
You asked for reading references.I have been reading too long to be able to give a complete list. The following is just a few,in no particular order,and without any review to see if any contain references to the subject in question:
Illustrated History of South Africa-Readers Digest
African Adventurers -Capstick
After Big Game in Central Africa-Edouard Foa
The Recollections of William Finaughty,Elephant Hunter,1864-1875
African Jungle Memories-J.E.Burger
African Nature Notes and Reminiscences-F.C.Selous
King of the WaKikuyu-John Boyes
Ivory-Sanchez
Elephant Hunters of the Lado-Foran
The Story of an African Farm-Olive Schreiner
Enjoy,
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Der Ami, you're a prince! MANY Thanks for the reading list. There's a long winter coming up and I like to be ready.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.