May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (susjwp, ClapperZapper, Marks_21, bushveld), 527 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a good example of Kilby Damascus

[img:left][/img]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all...It makes good sense as there was alot of pigeon gambling in this area.

OK...here's my second attempt at shooting this Cashmore to capture the contrast

This last photo is the Niagara County Shooting Club c1884

That Stevens tip-up held by the woman 3rd from the right is still in my family

In the late 1800's there were so many trap shooting clubs in Niagara County that there was a scarcity of pigeons which led to at least three companies who manufactured glass and composition round target balls in that county alone...Shooters from across NYS poured into Niagara Falls to shoot, often at a buck a shot (to start) back when you could buy a working farm for around $300. The scarcity of live birds along with the demand for gambling led to live sparrow shoots in Tonawanda.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Almost forgot to mention...on a boxlock the screw near the top of the action usually, but not always, indicates safety interceptors...or so I'm hoping...if anyone else is interested in seeing the innards, I've been considering taking it apart to clean and photograph it...thanks again

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert, I obtained an old Cashmore very similar to yours in that it has intercepting sears and the knuckles in the forearm ahead of the iron (which identifies it as a Scott product),however mine has a square crossbolt(another Scott feature),steel barrels,reinforced top and bottom tangs on action,very fine full coverage scroll with Cashmore name in banner,reinforced lever forend fastener (as found on double rifles)with screws on either side that go into sde of forend iron as found on Prussian Dalys.I believe that this gun was built by Scott and finished by Cashmore based on its features.The S/N is very close to this one,but I haven't a clue when it was built.Does anyone have S/N info on these guns? I will try to post photos soon. Marcus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert,

Is there an A&D APUN on the standing breech?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Monte Carlo Taubenschiessstand must have been a site to behold:

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sandlapper,
I don't doubt what you've said but I've always associated that fore arm treatment with Birmingham stock makers in general...I.ve owned Greeners with that feature and a J V Needham as well.
"Reinforced top and bottom tangs" is new to me...I can't even picture it... I thought that Manufrance was the only gunmaker that used tang reinforcements (Ideal model only).
And the "steel eyes" often seen on Prussian Daly's (and other Prussian guns) I thought was an ejector hammer axel as other Prussian Daly's without ejectors do not have the so-called "steel eyes".
I think you just answered yout own question about date of manufacture...if you serial# is close to my serial#...and your gun is treble wedgefast (Greener crossbolt) then both of these guns should be easily dated by the British patent record or Greeners book "The Gun"
Can't wait to see your photos

Raimey, no other marks on the standing breech or the action flats except for two small proofs (crossed halberds) in each flat.

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 09/09/12 10:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Leighton

Another example of Greener's 'Silver Steel' refinished by Paul Stevens. The ribband weld lines are apparent showing this is 3 iron. Greener made both 'Silver Steel' and Laminated Steel, and his, and Kilby's, would be 'British Best 3 Iron Laminated Steel', the winner of the 1891 Proof House Trial
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1dnRLZgcuHfx7uFOHvHCUGnGFiLiset-DTTEK8OtPYVA

'Silver Steel' has a bit of a 'whorl'

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/10/12 10:38 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert: This is an image from the 1905 N.Y. State Tournament scanned from Researcher's 1905 Baker Gun Quarterly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the results reported in Sporting Life.
All the 'Top Guns' no doubt attended. I've tried to ID Harvey McMurchy; possibly sitting left front holding a long barrel shotgun

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/10/12 11:34 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Drew...wish I knew where the clubhouse above was...or even the name of the club...somewhere I have material about McMurchy but as a LC Smith employee not Baker...I'll have to revisit that stuff...is there anything in particular I should look for other than a picture of McMurchy? I didn't think anyone was interested in Harvey...it's good to see ...I think he was friends of Curtiss and Wadsworth, two other well known LC Smith employees

Last edited by Robert Chambers; 09/10/12 01:08 PM.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.