April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have just aquired a low grade Fulton shotgun.
I'm having trouble with the right lock not always cocking when I break open the gun. I think this might be a comman problem with this gun because I've seen it mentioned in connection with them before.
I was hoping someone on this board might have experiance with them and have a fix.

The gun is marked "the Fulton" but in the schematics from "Gun Parts Corp." the parts look like those from the Ranger.
Thanks for any help. Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Fulton's sear and sear spring setup is a bit odd and clumsy. The sears hang (kind of) from the top of the action and use a coil spring, that sits in a hold in the stock wood, to provide pressure on the sears.

Any number of things could be causing that sear to not grab hold. Wood deterioration, dirty or damaged parts.

B.Dudley
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

B. Dudly, Thanks for the reply.
Although this gun is marked "The Fulton" the sear set-up is not as shown in the schamatic, that I could find for this gun. They are set up as shown for the "Ranger" and are in the bottom of the action.
The sears look like someone has clumsily worked on them, to lighten the trigger pull (which is very heavy) and may be the reason the sears fail to catch.
Thanks again, Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not all Ranger doubles were Hunter Arms-made Fultons . . . although if it's marked Fulton, then that's what it should be. Some Rangers were made by Stevens, and I think some were also Nitro Specials. But those wouldn't be marked Fulton.

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, this gun is marked "the Fulton" on one barrel and "Hunter Arms Co, M'F'R'S Fulton NY, USA", on the other. The schematic provided by; Numrich Gun Parts Corp. shows the Fulton and some additional parts that are described as unique to the Ranger.
These parts are identical to those in my Fulton.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not anatomically inclined smile but the difference may by that Numrich is showing the Ranger receiver, and not the early 3 screw Fulton receiver

and early trigger plate

Early Fulton parts diagram from Hunter Arms

http://www.lcsmith.org/images/parts/fultonhunter11212.jpg

The Fulton Special "Ranger" was offered by Sears in the 30s, and was the later 2 screw

1938 Sears catalog

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/06/12 11:04 AM.
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Drew,

My gun is marked, as I said, On the barrels " The Fulton and Hunter Arms Co.". It is also marked "Fulton" on both sides of the reciever.
It looks just like your photo though, with the two screws only.
And the interior parts are like the schematic for the Ranger.

Pete

pod Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

sxs man: i had the same problem with my fulton. it was corrected by shimming the top pivot point to keep it from moving off the screw at the tail end of the sear.them sears move quite a bit when cocking the gun they are at best a sloppy fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had the same problem on one of mine..Cant remember exactly, but the fix had something to do with the cocking pieces (exterior)being worn and short..It would actually for want of a better term, overcock...Dont have any Fultons at the moment or I'd look and give you a better answer...

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, pod and Last Dollar I am not sure if that's the problem but I'll look into it.
Thanks again, Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.