May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (coosa, Jimmy W, LGF, 1 invisible), 372 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,515
Posts545,684
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the 80's I sent 2 Sako rifles to George Hoenig for stocks to his pattern with my wood. They came back perfectly inletted and so close to finished on the outside that I hunted with the .222 before having it finished and checkered.His duplicator is a real work of art and ingenuity.I know he has had a lot of experience and the results were just what I expected.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"It is hard to see how stock duplicating could be calculated at the same or higher cost. At the rate of 75 USD per hour, assuming full 8 hour days, a duplicator would gross over 140 thou per year."

Ok 140K gross but what net? How long does a business last on 140K plus a year? Fajen made a million a year and went under. It is not all profit. Overhead including rent, electric, Heat/AC, Federal, State and Social Security taxes, property taxes, inventory taxes, Now healthcare ins., unemployment taxes, wear on equipment, etc... will all eat up a chunk. If you do not price your work out to make a real profit you will fail faster than every these days.

If you want to settle for a $20.00 an hour job be my guest. I rather pay top dollar and get good work than find a bargain, save a little money and work like a dog to make it work. You get what you pay for if you are lucky.

Sidelock
Sidelock

See my post of 3-16-11, same problems with the same people!

Craig

Last edited by Craig Havener; 10/04/12 01:32 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The reality is quality work costs money. Occasionally you may get a value greater than you paid, but that it is rare.

KY Jon is right on mark that businesses need to do more than break even and it is not an easy thing to do.

For me all my gun trading, gunsmithing projects, and work I have commissioned has been because I like the guns for their sake. If I were to do this needing to make a profit I would have done maybe a quarter of it. I have not made money on most deals and I am not sure I really care. Unfortunately for those who do this as a way of earning a living, they cannot be so generous. I respect that fact.

I respect those who do good work. I admire their skill and I am willing to pay a fair rate for it.

As for Macon gunstocks I leave to those who have been over promised and or underdelivered to comment.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be looking for a stock for my Army Navy project and for a 99F fairly soon. It's good to know where not to go. I apreciate the info very much.

I wish I had the knack of inletting because so far my results have been sad. I think I'll inlet the 99 first as it does not seem to be as great a terror as the Army Navy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The general survey of service charges in Brownells lists the Man Hour rate to be $40 - $85 and the Man & machine Hour rate at $50 - $95.

My duplication machine is basic, but it gets the job done. And it takes about an hour for me to do a buttstock give or take. And then more to do the forend for a set. Add in the wood and the setup time, especially if it is a new pattern and there is a good amount of time there.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was recently quoted a price to duplicate a shotgun stock,(not from Macon's) not including the forend. The quote was 450.00. That is on my blank. I didn't think that too steep compared to having the stock carved. I can final fit/finish.

The shop rate for the company I work for is 125.00/hr, min 3 hrs.,plus expenses for out of town. that's me, the truck and the tools. Parts extra.

I can't see how the stocker could own and maintain the equipment, pay the wage/benifits/liabilty,WC etc. and the facility costs and be making much at 450.00

R_W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Message from Macon, my gun will supposedly ship by end of this week. Can not wait to see the results.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Please do let us know.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes Please send pictures. I sent them a gun to restock just before this thread started!!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.