April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Borderbill, ChiefAmungum, Ian Forrester, Argo44, CJ Dawe), 415 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

EDIT: Title changed to reflect that the action has been identified and now it is a picture thread. wink

German BLnE
12ga
Nitro Proofed Krupp barrels.
No date stamp among proofs.

More pictures later, rushing off to a dinner party.

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 08/25/12 12:40 AM.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks a bit like a trigger plate action- the safety bar looks a bit like German born but American based (Saginaw, MI) designer Emil Flues work- but that's just a SWAG- very fine workmanship!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Note the cocking indicators far back on the top tang. Meffert's Treff action had a similar but removable block which housed the strikers. Can you pleasure us with an image of the top tang?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Tell me more about the Treff.
Pictures to follow.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A coupler pics and Raimey seems to have nailed it.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Utah:

I assume you are still in Penn? I'll have to run thru my notes, but one will find Mefferts with stamps like Treff DRGM 71381, Hubertus Gewehr 32200, and combinations. I realize yours is a double but I have see more examples adapted to drillings. I haven't found the DRGM just yet but I assume it applies to the metal block that houses what I guess would be called coil hammers. Then the selected coil hammer engages a striker, etc. Some refer to it as a breech battery which is attached to the top tang with the for sure turned screws as seen in your example. Note the cocking dogs activate a common one piece cocker, which is held in readiness with that little spring. The design is supposed to have well regulated, light & crip triggers but as evident by your example & others I've seen someone wanted to get into the mechanism for some reason. Maybe the springs on the coil hammers was broken. I do know that on drillings sometimes the motion of the selector will release the striker on the lower tube. So all has to be in correct working order. If the DRGM 71381 applies to it, the design would originate from the mid to late 1890s and sources give the design was abandoned circa 1929 but I've seen examples dated as late as 1931. Your double dates from post 1912 to 1923. Can you snap an image of the area from the flats forward to the forend lug? The Crossed Cannons Krupp stamp is common on Meffert offerings if Heinrich Ehrhardt's steel stamp isn't present.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,

Nothing forward of the flats except the s/n and the numeral '5' next to the forend lug.

I'll clean the screws up a bit after I finish stripping and cleaning the action.

I disassembled the gun as I could hear something 'moving' in the action. It was the lever for the safety reset which has no spring retaining it in position. Mechanically, all works as it should.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Having it this far apart, it made sense to strip it further for a good clean, polish and lube.

Raimey, the fire pins are not identical, so likely a replacement led to the buggered screw.

Since I was taking it apart, I took pictures to share. If I strip it further (unlikely) I'll take more pics.

And finally, what looks to be 90-100 year old pencil markings.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice detail there Utah. I'm attempting to assemble a Meffert serial number sequence so the number on the buttplate is stamped elsewhere? Yeah, as I said watch that small spring on the saddle as well as the 2 cocking indicators. Approx. what is the trigger pull weight and how's the scear-nose interface? I'll keep searching for the DRGM but little info seems available unless Axel's Shotgun Charlie has some filed. Since you have gone to all this effort, I'll pull the block on a drilling I have.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey,

I didn't check pull weight before I pulled it all apart. I'll let you know when I get it back together. (It wasn't heavy enough for me to note it.)

The sear-nose interface is quite pronounced. Pushing on the lever to release the striker with a thumb takes a good bit of effort. More of a 'hook'.

The pivot points on the trigger blades and sear lever obviously assist with the pull weight.

Obviously I pulled it further apart.... laugh

Parts are cleaned of 100 years of gunk. Starting reassembly. The only parts I did not take out were the top lever and locking mechanism. I didn't want to bugger the screw.

Mike
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.