April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, Jolly Bill, Der Ami, KDGJ, 1 invisible), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#289677 08/18/12 08:18 PM
skeettx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone know if Marlin still has records on the Ranger or the 90?

Last edited by skeettx; 08/18/12 09:13 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't think you actually could chrome a turd...

Nice gun, whats the story?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's got to be by far the fanciest Model 90 I've ever seen. The Ranger-marked 90's were made for Sears. Can't believe that gun would have left the factory looking like that, destined for a Sears store. I'm guessing custom upgrade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Theres a guy over on the 16 bore forum that seems to have a lot of info on em.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My thought, too.

I didn't know Sears sold anything, let alone a shotgun, so fancy.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Boxlock
Boxlock

Sorry to be so tardy in response, but just got cleared to post as new member. Skeettx was kind enough to post the pics of my Ranger. I purchased this gun recently at auction and like most of you, I couldn't believe that the engraving ,inlays, checkering etc could have been factory produced. When I disassembled the gun I found that all the serial number on the wood and metal matched. Of course one would have to question why someone would pick a Marlin 90 to apply such investment in "dolling" her up.I am trying to determine if indeed this was done by factory or aftermarket. That is my question?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably an engravers project,,just a guess on my part.

Is the 'R' above the serial number on the bottom part of the factory applied markings (Ranger)? It looks hand cut to me in the pic (but that's always tough to tell),,perhaps an engravers or gunsmiths mark if so.

The ducks look like they came from an Ithaca (McGraw) pattern. The dog looks familiar from Winchester or Ithaca. The checkering style follows a Winchester B carving to some extent.

Just some thoughts...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter,

Sears Ranger 103-11's, 16 ga. Model 90's made by Marlin were all marked with an "R" above the serial number. The engraver just enhanced it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The engraving is similar to that done in Japan for GIs in the 50s and 60s - possibly Hamada & Son

Last edited by Drew Hause; 08/19/12 10:37 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

BarclayG,
I was linked to this subject from a another thread...Drew may be correct about it being a GI piece, although when I first looked at your gun and saw the ivory grip cap, I thought G&R Tackle...G&R had several engravers on board and two outside stock makers...It may be worth while to email Bill Mains with a photo to see if this was a G&R made gun...The ducks on the bottom kinda look like the early work of Mains.

Mains has a website, perhaps he would recognize it as his work or the work of Ray Swan. see http://www.billmainsengraver.com/About-Bill-Mains.html

Besides the engraving, the gun was either restocked or at the very least re-checkered which suggestes more than one skilled craftsman...and that checkering is the work a highly accomplished checkerer.

Also, I would like to apologize for Ted3000 and his vicious comment about it being a "chromed turd". He feels the need to poo-poo every every gun or post that isn't owned by someone he kisses up to. I'ts strange how the other readers find his sharp tongue socially acceptable, even when he insults a newbie. He has nothing constructive to offer, no knowledge of the gun in question, yet he was compelled to berate your gun. He did follow up with "nice gun" but too late, he had just opened the door to other mud slingers...

If it turns out that Drew's assessment is correct, then your on your way...If it looks like my GUESS may have possibility, you can email me and I will post a seven page history of G&R (with a link)

Just got off the phone...I'm printing photos of your Marlin...another Iroquois Arms Collector member is on his way to pick them up and drive them (40 mi each way) to the last surviving G&R owner to see if he recognizes it. Even if it is, he may not recognize it as hundreds of custom shotguns passed through his shop across the 60' and 70's. Either way, it's worth a try and I may have the answer later tonight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.