Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#289578 08/17/12 09:29 PM
bauer Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all,
Have a Voigtlaender 4X Skoparette with a slide on sidemount on a H. Barella 20x20/8x72r. Rifle shoots 7.5 in. low at 50yds. Elevation dial is unmarked as to direction or increments. Can somebody help me with instructions? Hate to tinker much with a 90 year old scope.
bauer

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is your arrangement similar?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, the compleet history about the "Voigtländer" can be find in the Ernst Steigleder catalog if you have one.
If not I scan the page and send it to you so that you can post the info.
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bauer, all these old German scopes have neither increments nor clicks built into their elevation turrets, all adjustments, both elevation (by scope turret) and windage (by scope mounts)are by trial and error. They have one thing in common: turn the "disk" right to make the gun shoot higher, left for "down". The disks were then to be marked, often with scratches, for the distances the individual gun was sighted in. Many scopes have a seperate washer with a single line screwed on top that may be moved seperately without diturbing reticle adjustment. these wer meant to be aligned after sighting in the rifle. In your case, to make the gun shoot about 7" higher, I would turn the elvation disc clockwise for about 1/8" and shoot again to see how much the poi has moved, then guess how much you have to move again. OK, it is time- and ammo consuming, but an old-style boresighter/collimator helps a lot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Need a magnifier to be sure, auld deutsch script style, but looks like it means-- Long sections of lenses contained in one cover (tube?)--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Herr Ellenberg kennet Deutsche und Europaische Feuerwaffen sowie ein Braumesiter dem Reinheitsgebot von 1516- Prosit!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a hint,from watching Walter Grass sighting these things in. After the first shot, align the reticle with the bullet hole,hold the rifle in this position and adjust the reticle to the desired aim point(center of target,1 1/2",2 1/2" high,etc). Shoot again and readjust if necessary.Windage,of course, is in the mounts.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Längsschnitt eines Linsen Zielfernrohres, correct you are there Francis.

Strahlengang in einem Linsenzielfernrohre

Lense arrangement from 1908 article

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy, see if these images are any easier on your eyes.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Längsschnitt eines Linsenzielfernrohres

A more accurate translation would be "A longitudinal cutaway view of an optical telescopic sight" and "The path taken by the rays of light in an optical telescopic sight".

bauer Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all,
Yes Raimey the turret is as in your pictures, only the Skoparette has an enlarged objective body. Kuduae, took your advice, turned the dial 1/4 turn right and much to my surprise it came the full 7.5 in. to the point of aim!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
bauer

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was trying to see if I had a Skiparette but I found a Skopare/Skopar F, which didn't have any notches atop but I have a Skopar somewhere with notches and a single mount Oigee with 2 marks that make a V. I have a Ajack that has numbers atop of it but I'm not sure if the marks are original or not.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Who would you gentlemen recommend for the restoration of one of these fine scopes?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I found these with google.

Don Miller
PO Box 400639
Hesperia,Ca.92340
USA

pfadfinder03@yahoo.com

http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/repairservice.aspx

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: xausa
Längsschnitt eines Linsenzielfernrohres

A more accurate translation would be "A longitudinal cutaway view of an optical telescopic sight" and "The path taken by the rays of light in an optical telescopic sight".
Danke!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

1908 Skopare Advert

Typical reticle variations image from circa 1907.

I guess I've seen more early scopes with example #4 than the rest. Nr. 2 is a variation that is given as a choice for dynamic targets.

Most interesting is the evolution of adaptation of a magnification device on a sporting weapon. Entrance, exit pupils, inverted images, etc. all come into play as well as eye relief which fell in the 4 - 8cm range with the 6 - 8cm subset being the optimal. In rummaging thru some scopes, the Boys Ellenburg took keen interest and it was difficult to get the youngest of 5 years to understand the full field of view concept thru eye relief. He wants to reverse the optics, so he may be a potential long distance shooter. But now they want to attach magnification to all longarms.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Need a magnifier to be sure, auld deutsch script style, but looks like it means-- Long sections of lenses contained in one cover (tube?)--

No. It's "longitudinal cross-section of a refracting rifle scope."

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave - a very minor point but there is no such thing as a "longitudinal cross section"

A cross section is a section taken at right angles to the long axis.

A section taken thru the long axis is a "longitudinal" section or in German, "Längsschnitt"

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're correct.

Longitudinal section of a refracting rifle scope.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I take it that you figured out that the set screw is to hold the setting of the elevation... supposed to loosen it before turning, and then reset it. Good luck with it. I had a Voightlander fixed power with single post reticle in claw mounts once. It functioned OK, but the tube was the metric equivalent of 7/8 inch, so was not as bright as I desired at the time. Deutsch Optik at one time did refurbishing on older german scopes. Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.