April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 809 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#288998 08/13/12 10:58 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm currently looking at a SKB 280, 12 ga choked IC and MOD. The reason, as if one needs a reason, for buying this gun is to have a sturdy s/s all purpose gun for pheasants, prairie grouse and perhaps the occasional waterfowl. Other than the single trigger which I can live with and the gawdawful front bead, your thoughts?

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have an SKB 200E, 385 and 100. I think they are very good guns for the money. I have more expensive side by sides with more nicely figured wood and hand cut engraving but when it comes to a good shooter I love my SKBs. Sometimes I look for bad weather days just as an excuse to shoot them over some of my other guns. I should mention that my fitted guns have very similar dimensions as the factory SKBs minus the cast off. I have not shot a 280 but I am sure the quality is there. James

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it's IC/M, it probably has 26" barrels. Some would suggest longer would be better on a gun for open country upland birds and waterfowl. The other issue with waterfowl, if you're going to shoot steel, is the gun's 2 3/4" chambers which limit your ammunition choices. And some people don't like the combination of a generous beavertail and a straight grip. But SKB's are solid guns, and it will certainly fill your "sturdy" requirement.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr. Brown,
Actually the barrel length is 28", don't have my hands on the gun yet but possibly the chokes have been opened up, I can live with that. As to the waterfowling, I know I'm limited to 2 3/4" but have a couple other dedicated waterfowl guns for serious stuff so that isn't a concern. I suspect the SKB is tough enough to take stout loads, I handload steel and can load up some killer 2 3/4" 1 oz. loads for decoying and the occasional upland hunt that requires nontox. Of course there is always the option of nice shot and tungsten matrix if I feel the need and can stand the tariff.

Steve

"Every one must believe in something, I believe I'll go hunting today."
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve,

They are 'h' for stout good guns. Model pref is a personal thing, but from the model 100 up all are very well made & should not have any issues w/your intended use. You might wish to consider pulling the stock & sealing the head and giving the locks a clean & lube, but otherwise I see nothing to find worrisome. BTW, I believe those bbls. were chrome lined originally, so give the choke work a good inspection to insure it wasn't a butcher job.

I'm in complete agreement w/James' assessment.

Best, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great gun, I have had one for years and they are dependable and stout.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree the SKB line of SXS are good solid guns able to handle stout loads. The raybar type site is ugly but servicable. I personally think they are a little too heavy and I am giving one of my nephews a 20 ga and another one a 28 ga. nothing really wrong with them. I just have to many shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one in 20 ga., and it's not much more than 6 lbs. The little platform that the raybar sight is perched on will screw right off, very easy to substitute a simple bead.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just took possession of a 20 ga. SKB (Ithaca) 280E, bought at auction. Weight is 6# 6.5 oz. with 28" barrels. My grandson broke it in Saturday afternoon (literally, as it is an unfired gun, ANAICT), between rains, at the clays course. He shot it admirably, breaking some very long and difficult birds, most notable going 4/5 on a high, going away bird off a tower.

I shot the gun a couple times and found it very shootable. Good trigger, excellent ejectors timed well. What's not to like about it, except the Raybar front "sight"?

I was very impressed, overall.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are great guns and hard to beat for the money. A good alternative would be a Miroku-made Charles Daly 500.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.