April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 1,150 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are failures caused by overloads, but most are tracked down to bore obstructions.Even failures in or near the chamber can result from obstructions, such as 20 ga shell in 12 ga or loose base wad from previous shell.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't recall the details of the actual load, perhaps someone here does. Some 10-12 yrs ago maybe longer, Buck Hamlin took a 12ga hammer L C Smith having welded bbls, don't recall now if they were twist or Damascus. Barrels were heavily pitted & considered very poor condition. He lengthened the chambers to 3˝" & proceded to begin firing the heaviest loads of Blue Dot listed for 3˝ shells in Hercules/Alliants manuals. As nothing unusual occured he began increasing the load & continued doing so until he just physically ran out of space in the hull, but never succeded in Blowing it up.
Note also the guns mentioned above which were blown up, Bells's test being at some 30K psi, none blew at the chamber/cone juncture, nor down the bbl.
It should not of course be supposed that in a well designed & made gun, using any normal loads that the wall between the chamber & extractor hole is a particular weak spot. Those which did blow at this point were not ordinary.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, I recall reading those tests that Buck Hamlin did with the pitted L.C. Smith Damascus barrels in the LACA newsletter. I think he actually did eventually succeed in blowing up the barrels with what he called "Nuclear Loads", but it was only after reaching a point where the gun was blowing itself open at every shot. I'm not sure just how that occurred in a rotary bolted L. C. Smith, but the pressures had to be at least as high as Sherman Bell was reaching when his barrels finally let loose.

All the same, I think it should be a felony, punishable by hanging, to lengthen the chambers on vintage doubles. Just my opinion, but proper length shells are readily available, and modern magnum shotguns are just as available should the need arise. There is no need to turn nice original vintage cars into street rods either.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith;
Yes the LACA newsletter was where I read of Bucks experience. As I recall it though he didn't actually blow up anything but quit when the bbls started blowing open. I have probably heard of more guns with rotary bolts being blown open than any other bolting system. As I recall this was a big problem with some NIDs, I recall Elmer Keith encountered it with one.
As I understand it when the bbl hook puts enough upward pressure on the bolt it simply cams it around, the slope of the hook being greater than its coefficient of friction. Sort of like pushing down on a watermelon seed & squirting it out.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
There are failures caused by overloads, but most are tracked down to bore obstructions.Even failures in or near the chamber can result from obstructions, such as 20 ga shell in 12 ga or loose base wad from previous shell.
Mike

In the case of the blown Fox I saw, I would have initially voted for bore obstruction, probably a base wad, had the shooter not checked his reloads later and found a couple with no powder charge. That makes a double charge more likely, although it still could have been a base wad.

Re reloading, I'm aware of at least one modern double gun (from a "name" European maker) that blew from a factory shell. Inspection revealed that incorrect barrel boring was the problem, with a very thin spot (I don't recall for sure, but I seem to remember something closer to .010 than to .020) where it gave way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been reloading target shotshells for over 50 years without a mishap, so far anyway
Given the bulk of such powders as Green Dot, Unique, and so on, if I have a double charge of 32 grains in a 12 ga hull I can't get hardly any shot in, so I see a problem right there.
Unlike pistol brass, too easy to put a double load in a 38 Special hull, that's why I charge the hulls and put them facing up in a block 50 at a time and shine a flashlight down to see they are all level with the powder before seating the bullets.
A big worry is to have no powder in the primer will blow the bullet halfway up the barrel = a bulge

Sidelock
Sidelock

MB in MB:
+1 and AMEN to your handgun reloading in units of 50 at a time, and over viewing all 50 cases to ensure each has powder. If one case does not have powder, your eye (MY eye, anyway) will IMMEDIATELY be drawn to the empty case - as it will not conform with the visual pattern. This powder check is an "unintended consequence" of using a single stage loader. This particular check doesn't exist with a progressive loader.
Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.