March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 870 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

When was the last time anyone had their desk lamp "re-proofed" by UL after they changed the socket base or cord?

Where's Italiansxs when he's really needed? wink Can you imagine a proofhouse in the states in todays volitile gun law environment? Proof records could be abused. This shooting of a dozen people already has the gun control media making their own news about more gun control. Bob Shieffer already threw it out there this morning.

How many of you with a 90% Optimus or AHE or LC Deluxe or even a favorite family GH Parker or CE Fox would run down and have someone pump a couple near 20,000 psi rounds thru it and get out a big hammer and a metal stamp and beat on your pride and joy? Not many takers on that, I suspect.

Last edited by Chuck H; 07/20/12 09:40 AM.
GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
When was the last time anyone had their desk lamp "re-proofed" by UL after they changed the socket base or cord?

Where's Italiansxs when he's really needed? wink Can you imagine a proofhouse in the states in todays volitile gun law environment? Proof records could be abused. This shooting of a dozen people already has the gun control media making their own news about more gun control. Bob Shieffer already threw it out there this morning.

How many of you with a 90% Optimus or AHE or LC Deluxe or even a favorite family GH Parker or CE Fox would run down and have someone pump a couple near 20,000 psi rounds thru it and get out a big hammer and a metal stamp and beat on your pride and joy? Not many takers on that, I suspect.

+1. The high minded "voluntary" approach needs healthy measures of common sense and real politik. The back door initiatives (beaten down so far by an active pro-gun lobby) such as loading component and ammunition regulation and control come to mind. Keep government out, entirely, or we'll rue the day we went along with "voluntary" proofing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would anyone lengthen a chamber when simply having forcing cones lengthened produce the desired result in most cases with probable better performance?

A Springer Spaniel, a 6# double and a fair day to hunt.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Erik,
I'd be guessing, but it's probably just uninformed pedestrians and gunsmiths. I shoot my damascus guns with 2 3/4" hulls loaded to low pressures in 2 5/8" chambers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Erik W
Why would anyone lengthen a chamber when simply having forcing cones lengthened produce the desired result in most cases with probable better performance?

Erik, if "the desired result" is reducing pressure to what you'd get by firing a 2 3/4" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber, the only way to do that is with a 2 3/4" chamber. Sherman Bell's "Finding Out for Myself" tests showed that lengthening the cones usually resulted in some reduction in pressure. However, pressures still remained higher than when the shell was fired in a chamber of the appropriate length. It was usually only a question of a few hundred psi, but still higher.

Of course the tradeoff is that removing metal from the chamber (as opposed to just lengthening the cone, which removes very little metal) obviously weakens that area of the gun. That's why the Brits insist on reproof when chambers are lengthened.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If one begins measuring thwe wall thickness with an accurate gage, just forward of the rim seat & continues down the bbl the following will be found in a normal gun. The OD of the bbl decreases in diameter faster than the chamber dia so the wall will decrease until the end of chamber is come to. At this point the diameter of the cone decreases faster than the OD so the wall will reverse & begiin to increase until the end of cone is arrived at. Here the bore will remain essentially constant while the OD continues decreasing, so the wall will again begin to decrease. At some point the wall will become equal to that at the juncture of the chamber & cone. The cone can thus be lengthened to this point with no loss of minimum wall thickness. Even if the cone is lengthened more than this the point where the wall becomes thinner than that of the chamber/cone juncture will be moved down the bbl where pressure is dropping so no Danger point is ordinarily established. Thus the British ruling that a gun having a lengthened cone does not need re-proofing. On the other had if the chamber itself is lengthened the OD is still decreasing faster than the chamber so an immediate reduction of wall thickness occurs at the end of the chamber.

A couple of points though worthy of note, The point of maximum pressure is reached inside the chamer itself prior to this point of minimum wall so this does not in most cases actually represent a "Weak" point. Also most American guns were not built to a carefully stuidied out minimum as are some British game guns. Most American guns can actually have the chambers lengthened without encroaching upon the minimum required wall thickness.
Of far more real concern is the overall effect of using heavier loads than the entire gun was designed around. Also do not take these comments as a recommendation to rush out & have your chambers lengthened, I do not recommend such.
I a book by Roy Dunlap "Gunsmithing" copyrited 1950 he gives minimum chamber dimensions for the 2 3/4" 12ga. He doesn't specifically say so, but I assume these were then current SAAMI specs. Minimum chamber dia was given as .798" with a minimum cone of 5° per side. This calculates to a cone length of .400" to a bore diameter of .728". But, get this, he gave a minimum length from breech to beginning of the cone as 2.6136 or slightly shorter the 2 5/8" (2.625"). Using the minimum parameters the diameter of the cone at a point 2.750" from the breeech would be .024" smaller than the chamber or .774". This chamber was sanctioned for any & all 2 3/4" sheels in guns which were otherwise built for those loads.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just saw an American made gun survive 'proof'

A friend, and very experienced handloader just fired off a major overcharge in a Ruger revolver. This is one of the new ones, in 357.

He was shooting 38 special cases, had a squib, and several rounds later found the rest of the powder in another load.

The gun barked a bit... and we had to drive the case out of the cylinder. This was very difficult. It was ironed in tight.

He went home and weighed the rest of the 3,000 loads he had on hand (yes, 3,000). All suspect ones were disassembled. No overcharges found.

I suspect ANY American made pistol will survive this kind of torture, and any of the few shotguns made here are just as stout.

We don't seem to have a big problem with US made firearms blowing up.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the late '60s while shooting skeet in western OK I had the unpleasant experience of firing a hand load (someone else's load) that had apparently a double powder load in it. BIG bang and knocked me back against the low house. Everyone thought I had fired both barrels at the same time...which I had not. The barrel (left one) was bulged in the chamber area with the center of the bulge pretty much in line with the center of the chamber. I would not care to try that again!!

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones

We don't seem to have a big problem with US made firearms blowing up.

I recently saw the aftermath of a 20ga Fox ejector gun with the R chamber blown. Peeled away from the outside (where the pin on the ejector luggers runs through the frame) in towards the rib. That's the opposite of the way it happened with the first Parker Bell blew, which peeled out from the middle--starting from where the big pin on the extractor lugger runs underneath the rib. In both cases, the holes where those pins ride are obviously weak spots--although, as Bell's test showed, usually well capable of withstanding extreme overpressure loads.

A double charge may have been at fault in the case of the Fox. Reloads, and the shooter later found one or two with no powder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just my thoughts, but if creating a law with the intent of preventing gun failures were the goal, I would think that outlawing reloading would be the most effective.

I'm not saying I'm for it, just that most failures I've seen were related somehow to reloading.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.