Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Please don't talk to me about anything involving A***s.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Claybird
I have said this before in at least one other thread. I don't understand the reluctance to establishing a US proof house - let me emphasize on a voluntary basis, i.e. not by government dictation.

There are so many safety issues that can be resolve by "proof testing."

Seems to me it would be a good "business opportunity."

You know, we've gone round and round about the US Proof house discussions on this board. Seriously though, wouldn't it be only a moderately difficult lobbying task to get SAAMI to acknowledge proof and then to certify the means and the private companies permitted to prove arms? The SAAMI working group should be amiable to this if a bit of lobbying was done in this area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys-
We already have US Voluntary proof houses. Each manufacturer proofs in accordance with their procedures.Because of US courts,the manufacturers have a vested interest in making sure each of their guns is safe. This is why we had to put up with heavy trigger pulls so long, and no US maker chambers for 5.6x50R. Things are bad enough with out getting the Gvt. any more into it. Mike

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Claybird
I have said this before in at least one other thread. I don't understand the reluctance to establishing a US proof house - let me emphasize on a voluntary basis, i.e. not by government dictation.

There are so many safety issues that can be resolve by "proof testing."

Seems to me it would be a good "business opportunity."

I understand the reluctance to establishing a US proof house, as others have noted, we don't need any more government oversight. Look at what the British and European governments have done on the business of gun ownership and regulation. As an American, I can't buy into it. To presume that it will remain voluntary is naive, IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys, I'm not suggesting regulation. I'm suggesting a response to the suggested need. A SAAMI "authorized" proofer under some sort of SAAMI framework would be non-governmental but it would allow us to subject guns to proof based on reasonable standards and a credible entity. Not suggesting we need a new Obama cabinet post to handle the bureaucracy. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

The British and many of the European proofhouses were around long before those countries adopted more restrictive firearms laws. It wasn't a case of using the proofhouses to protect the people from gun violence, but rather using them to protect the people from unsafe and potentially dangerous products. If you're going to take away all guns or similarly restrict private firearms ownership, then you don't really need a proofhouse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why would a (or several) private proof house evolve into some sort of anti-gun Trojan horse.Underwriters Labs has been around for eons and works just as intended. I am sure there are plenty of other comparable private standards organizations.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't go back & check, but this discussion was up not long ago & went into multiple pages. The "KEY" word here is "Voluntary". As talk of a proof house arises virtually always the word "Mandatory" seems to creep in. This is what so many, including myself, object to. You cannot have mandatory without Government involvement.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would have been helpful, prior to the standardization of US gunmakers on 2 3/4"/3" chambered guns, all of which--within a given gauge, except .410--have the same service pressure, if the industry had used proofmarks to indicate the standards under which their guns were proofed. There were no industry-wide standards prior to SAAMI (mid-20's), and even after that, we had a bunch of different chamber lengths for different gauges. And, from what I can find in the literature, different proof and service pressures. All of which wasn't much of a problem as long as appropriate factory ammo was readily available--which it was, at least up to WWII. After that, shorter American factory shells disappeared pretty quickly, and a lot of gunsmiths dealt with the problem by lengthening 2 1/2, 2 9/16, and 2 5/8" chambers to 2 3/4", and acting as if that solved the problem. Which it didn't then, and doesn't today on old American guns which have been rechambered--any more than taking a 2 1/2" Brit gun and punching it out to 2 3/4" means that you should use any and all American 2 3/4" factory loads in that gun, even if it's cleared 850 bar/"standard" CIP proof. The advantage of the British system is that we at least know when the gun has had its chambers lengthened, and that it has been reproofed. But that only happens because it's all mandatory over there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller is right---again. Voluntary is key. I'm involved in forest sustainability and certification of private lands to the world's highest environmental standard: the Forest Stewardship Council. It's voluntary. It also provides greater access to more demanding markets. Your choice. Certification with independent third-party audits proves we're not Amazon North, as proofhouses "prove" specific standards have been met to assist safety and determine value. Your choice.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.