May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (welder, HalfaDouble, Jtplumb), 582 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,563
Posts546,354
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What was the finish used on old American lower grade doubles ? Was it linseed oil? Shellac? or Varnish?
Thanks, Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lacquer

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Walter.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

sxsman1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Drew,
But I can't help wondering if the old gunmakers could afford all that work to finish a low end double, it seems they would be investing too much labor to make a profit.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just checked and the average weekly salary for a skilled worker was $29 in 1920. This is the principal reason why hand work such as engraving or stock fininshing done at that time appears to be such a bargian now. Another reason is a manufacturing facility such as Parker or L C Smith wasn't encumbered with overhead like we have today. When I owned and operated my own business I figuered I spent on average one day out of the week working for the government(s). With the amount of reporting,tax collecting etc. at the Federal, State and local level it took up an easy 20% of my time. This overhead has to be passed on to customers which further inflates cost.
I don't know the process used then but generally when lacquer is applied today it's sprayed on which is very efficient and cost effective
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 07/15/12 12:11 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Walt said, lacquer was commonly used and it would have been sprayed on. Low end, mass produced guns still retaining some original factory finish will often have it flaking off.

I've seen reference in pre-WWII gun advertisements to "Duco finish."

Duco was a trade name assigned to a product line of automotive lacquer developed by the DuPont Company in the 1920s.
Similarly, Remington used Dupont Imron to finish guns in the 70/80's.

CLB Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Parker Bros. used shellac (French Polish) on just about all their guns. Customers could request an oil finish if desired.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a flaking Baker that I stripped to bare wood using only rubbing alcohol, so it apparently was finished in shellac. Similarly, I've dissolved added shellac off the top of the remaining varnish or lacquer original finish of other guns. This is the reason I start any stock cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap and then proceed to Ammonia before resorting to mineral spirits or alcohol, and onward to hotter solvents. Sometimes, I find what I'm looking for under a layer of grime without resorting to a total strip and refinish.

Since I've had various original stock finishes dissolve in various solvents, I think it's safe to say that gun makers then, as now, used different finishes.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CLB
Parker Bros. used shellac (French Polish) on just about all their guns. Customers could request an oil finish if desired.

Shellac is a very poor "varnish". It would not last two weeks under constant handling. I wasn't there, but I feel pretty certain Parker used a modified linseed oil product on their stocks to resist water and handling.

"French Polish" is nothing but the process of applying shellac by rubbing it on in several layers. It is ok for interior furniture or some musical instruments that never are in outdoor use, but for a gunstock, it would be unsuitable.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.