May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (HalfaDouble, AZMike, battle, Thruxton, 1 invisible), 400 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,186
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will find a copy of Marks.
-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
If we are just talking about the effects of casehardening or through hardening on a given double gun frame, no matter how high the hardness of the frame is raised, it won't change the amount of deflection of the frame when fired at all.

The stiffness of a gun frame will not change from hardness nor changing the steel from mild steel to chromoly, hard or soft.

The stiffness of steel is pretty much the same thru all the alloys and unchanged by hardness.

But by increasing the yield point of the steel the frame can take more displacement without plastic bending. And since spring rates go up with some power(d squared or d to the power of 1.5 etc...) of displacement and a higher yield point receiver can take more displacement it's spring rate is higher right before plastic failure that a "soft" frame.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/09/12 12:32 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This has been an interesting thread! Fertile grounds for a book on the metal types and treatments for double guns old and new by as many makers as possible. Would take someone far more savy than I!

Sam Welch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dick_dup1

Low carbon recivers were used because that was the extent of the Metalurgy at that time in history.

"Sudden fracture point is commonly known as Brittle Fracture and is a condition that a steel can be put into if not heat treated properly known as Martensite.
Recievers were annealed to remove the Martensite structure..

I believe, historically, medium and high carbon steel was well known and available in the late 1800's early 1900's. I think even today there's the use of medium carbon steels, but I believe there's a reason why high carbon steels are generally not used in receivers and barrels.

I don't believe martensite is a heat treating problem. I think the whole point to the thread is the importance of case hardening, or the formation of martensite on the surface of steel that is unable to harden on its own. The thread is also asking if the hardness, martensite, were removed by annealing if the gun were ok to shoot. So, there seems to be an implication that we don't want to anneal the hard case of a receiver for possibly safety or durability reasons.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,
I'll defer to your explanation of MOE. Clearly, some of the folks here confuse MOE, ultimate tensile strength, and yield strength. I suppose a stress/strain diagram of two coupons, one hard, one soft would be helpful.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H

....no matter how high the hardness of the frame is raised, it won't change the amount of deflection of the frame when fired at all...

Hi Chuck, this was the exact point I was awkwardly trying to make earlier.

Would you be able to comment, and I'm interested to learn, if all is equal, will the hardened sample be able to deflect by a greater amount, before becoming inelastic, than the softer sample. I'm not thinking of force required as the samples approach their yield, but distance of deflection before first signs of permanent deformation.

Again, purely to learn, don't mean to flog around on the ole dead horse.

Sidelock
Sidelock

-Dick

Dick it was actually by two authors. The other one was something like Baumeister. I bought it new in 1978.

Thanks,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This first stress-strain diagram show mild steel.

This second diagram shows a hardened steel curve and a soft steel curve on the same diagram. You can see the stress and strain track exactly on top of each other (extreme left side of the diagram) until the soft steel starts to yield. The hard steel curve continues upward and you can see that it doesn't have much plastic region (more brittle). This is what you'd see in two identical flat springs, one soft and the other heat treated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike
-Dick

Dick it was actually by two authors. The other one was something like Baumeister. I bought it new in 1978.

Thanks,

Mike

Dick when Chuck deferred to your expertise I got worried. I drove to my office. I am at my office looking at the "Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers". It doesn't say what I said it says.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I understand what I read this article says that carbo-nitriding low carbon steel raises signifigantly raises it's yield strength and tensile strength. I know we are talking about case hardening by carburizing

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=j5m0rm7q16833674&size=largest

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/09/12 04:49 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.