Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

One thing to keep in mind, most barralled actions in England...and other places by that matter go to the proof house before hardening, I think the vast majority pass proof.

This quote from David T's Technicana " at this point ,the gun...essentially a barrelled action with locks, fasteners, and ejectors but lacking triggers and a trigger plate, went back to the Proof House for definitive proof. Then it was ready for the stockmaker"

I would say if they can handle a few heavy proof loads it should be able to take some target loads...just don't overdo it, but it should be re-hardened at some point.

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Yep, a "soft" action will bend and spring back under firing stress. This is for the simple reason that the strain (deflection) does not exceed its yield strain.

A "soft" action can bend and spring back under firing stress as long as the strain (deflection) does not exceed its yield strain. If it does then the soft action will bend and stay bent.

Rocket I get your point about the .002" being very thin compared to the rest of the cross section of the action but I make the point again that the strength of a monocoque fusealage is primarily due to the thin skin held in place by bulkheads and runners. And the maximum tension strain is most likely at the surface, as is the maximum compression strain.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/06/12 11:20 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don,
My non-statistical sample of cutting into a couple pieces of case hardened steel leads me to believe that while there is a uniformly hard layer of something like .002-008", there is also a gradient of hardness many times that. I base this on the machining of the steel and the observation of the finish. You can literally see the hardness gradient in terms of shineyness. I estimate that I've seen layers of gradient hardness up to .050". Or at least the gradients of shineyness up to that.

Last edited by Chuck H; 06/07/12 12:27 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To be blunt and for the safety of the shooter, this Thread needs a short discourse in Metalurgy.
Case hardening and heat treating are too different processes designed to cause two different effects. Heat treating takes steel in its annealed state (annealing raises the temperature after forming to allow the stresses induced during forming to flow and 'anneal' which is actually an atomic process as 'dislocations' induced during forming actually flow to relieve themselves) which was designed to remove the stresses caused by forming and hardens the entire volume by raising the Tensile Stress. Prior to the use of high tensile steel by Winchester and Browning, shotguns were manufactured of lower tensile strength steel and as such the surfaces were not very hard to resist wear of both internal parts and the surface of the action. Case hardening was developed to harden the surfaces and the colors that resulted are a by product of the case process.
After the reciever of a shotgun is annealed for metal work, it is essential that it should both be heat treated correctly and the surface case hardebned properly for safety.
The receiver is probably safe to shoot as the design most likely will not cause catastrophic failure with a mild steel but should be done properly.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 06/07/12 06:41 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are of course numerous processes which fall in the category of "Heat Treating", case hardening being one process in the broad category, IE it "IS" a heat treating process. In actuality, though often combined into a single operation, Case hardening is a two part process. The first step consists of "Carburizing" the low carbon steel to give the outer surface a higher carbon content. 2nd step is then to "Heat Treat" this carburized portion, thus the common name Case Harden.
The carburizing portion consists of bringing thr part to a temp above its critical temp & holding it there in the presence of a carbon rich atmophere for a time suitable to the desired penetration. The longer it is held the deeper the carbon penetrates though the deeper it gets the longer it takes for more depth, so there are practical limits which are not often exceeded.
The Heat treating portion is simply to quench the part in a suitable medium, usually water here, from a tamp above its critical temp. Since the part is already above this temp in the carburizing process it is quite common to simply quench directly from the carburizing, but this is not a requirement. The carburizing & heat treting can be done in seperate operations, though this would require bringing the part up to heat twice.
I totally agree with Chuck here, there simply is not a sharply defined "Line" to which the carbon penetrated & stopped but as he said it simply thins & eventually fades out as you go deeper from the surface. When the carbon content drops too low even though it may still be more than the original alloy as in the center it no longer hardens from the quench.
I believe this is basically what Dick was saying, but his statement seemed to indicate that casehardening was not heat treating, which it of course is.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman/DDA. I do not agree that the depth of hardness would be .002" A typical figure would be .008" per hour at carburising temperature.Gun actions are held for 1&1/2 - 2 hours so an effective case depth of .012"-.016 would be anticipated.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, gents, a very good discussion.

Chuck, can you go a bit deeper into the circumstances of seeing gradiant carbon content to the depths you indicated? Gun parts? I don't disagree, but would like to know more. I certainly agree 100%with the gradiant concept, but am surprised at the 0.050" number. 2-p, any input on depths likely for guns? I've heard of depths to 0.150", but only under very special circumstances.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Hugh Lomas
I have in my shop a Greener FH35 that appears to have escaped the hardening process entirely. Either that or every part of it was annealed and left soft. The gun has obviously given years of good service and is still mechanically sound. Unfortunately all the engraved surfaces are worn down to the point of being barely discern able. Action, fore end iron, trigger plate top lever Deeley latch, trigger guard. It seems none the worse for wear but this seems to reinforce the argument that Hardening was more to protect the aesthetics rather than contribute strength.
Any budding engravers need a project??

My sentiments exactly and we're still springing along....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: Hugh Lomas
I have in my shop a Greener FH35 that appears to have escaped the hardening process entirely. Either that or every part of it was annealed and left soft. The gun has obviously given years of good service and is still mechanically sound. Unfortunately all the engraved surfaces are worn down to the point of being barely discern able. Action, fore end iron, trigger plate top lever Deeley latch, trigger guard. It seems none the worse for wear but this seems to reinforce the argument that Hardening was more to protect the aesthetics rather than contribute strength.
Any budding engravers need a project??

My sentiments exactly and we're still springing along....

A friend has a Birmingham 16 gauge singleshot hammergun. It was loose when he bought it. He sent it to a gunsmith both he and I consider to be very good. The gunsmith tightened it. My friend took it hunting and fired a few shots. It was loose again. Back to the gunsmith, gunsmith fixed it, back to my friend, no charge. Again my friend shot it a few times and it went loose. Back to the gunsmith. After investigation the gunsmith said that the frame was soft and had been improperly heat treated (after it left the maker) or had never been case hardened and wanted to have it case hardened so it would be springy. My friend, tighter than the proverbial bark-on-a-tree, declined and after the last tightening quit shooting it.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/07/12 11:16 AM.

I am glad to be here.
JLN Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Everyone has some different view and experience with CCH. I feel like we have a tendency to mystify this process in gun circles because of the visual aspects of what it provides rather than the mechanical properties it provides.

Everyone should try to level set with some form of reference that is a good baseline and then take individual information as necessary to further your understanding.

The key here is that first and foremost case hardening is a heat treatment process for low carbon steels. First understand how they did it then and now.

From there you can work out how to translate the extra effort to get to CCH, which just adds the colors.

Get a baseline from some place like Wikipedia or buy a book on the heat treatment of metals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_hardening

Then add to it:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/doublegunjournal_v7i4_9.htm
http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=kts&NM=113

I love these forums but in all the posts it can sometimes be hard to put all the different parts provided by different knowledgeable folks into the right order to fully see the puzzle you are trying to build and solve. Take a step back and find a reference that allows you to level set so when reading all the good posts you can put them into the right order.

Jason

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.