May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (journeymen, Stanton Hillis, Argo44, 1 invisible), 399 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,548
Posts546,205
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
bbman3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had Fox frame and forend iron annealed and have scalloped reshaped frame and restocked the gun.I have read and heard that gun should not be used without having rehardened.Anyone had any experience with this? Thanks,Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bobby,
I'd have it re-casehardened before use. Will it damage it if you shoot a box of light loads? I doubt it.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a customer who likes to shoot his guns in on a custom stock. We are doing a Parker upgrade currently and he shot it for POI in it's annealed state. No harm done. I would recommend keeping it to a minimum.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

On line with Bobby's question, I have an field grade Ithaca someone did a whole lot of very fancy engraving on and then, I think, blued. I suspect it was annealed to allow for all the engraving and that it was never re-cased since it was blued.

How can I tell if it was re-cased? For whatever its worth to Bobby, I've been shooting the gun with Bismuth Classic which I don't think is particularly low pressure and have not noticed any problems...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

the purpose of hardening shotgun parts is to increase the life of those parts at their wear points. seems like working the action of a gun without hardening it's working parts would cause those parts to wear out sooner than later?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frames on vintage double guns were originally case hardened at the factories for a reason.

Annealing brings the steel back to its pre-hardened softness. Shooting an annealed gun will likely lead to premature wear on the bearing surfaces and cause the action to go loose before its time. Surface dents, dings and scratches are also more likely to occur. For those who've ever filed or sanded hardened and annealed steel, the difference between the two is remarkable. If you intend to shoot it, have it rehardened. If you don't like case colors, they can easily be brushed off to enhance the engraving.

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun".
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
the purpose of hardening shotgun parts is to increase the life of those parts at their wear points. seems like working the action of a gun without hardening it's working parts would cause those parts to wear out sooner than later?

The case hardening of the receiver makes it act like a spring. Otherwise it bends and stays bent.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have serious doubts that case-hardening gives much of a spring effec to a piece of steel. After the case-hardening process if there was warpage etc, these gns were "HardFit". This meant they were bent back into shape. I do not believe that in this hard fitting they were moved enough they would not have gone back had they had a spring temper, but they stayed bent, indicating they were not of the nature of a spring.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
bbman3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all.I may test fire it.George when you put a file to case hardened metal it will hardy cut. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I have serious doubts that case-hardening gives much of a spring effec to a piece of steel. After the case-hardening process if there was warpage etc, these gns were "HardFit". This meant they were bent back into shape. I do not believe that in this hard fitting they were moved enough they would not have gone back had they had a spring temper, but they stayed bent, indicating they were not of the nature of a spring.
Case hardening affects maybe a surface depth in mild (AISI 1018) forged parts like receivers of 0.0025"- annealing affects the entire area, but remember, whenever you subject a formed metal part to heat input, it flows towards the thinner sections- all the great American made side-by-sides (except the Winchester M21) were "double fitted"-- first in the pre-case hardening state (soft fitted) and then final or hard fitting after case hardening-- The great Parker authority now the late Edward Muderlak discloses this quite well in his book on Parkers, and even shows fotos of the late Dr. Oscar Gaddy with his furnace and chill box-

I have seen how well fitted the AH Fox guns are from my Sterlingworths- I would agree with the other gent who posted here- I would have the gun re-case hardened by someone who really knows what they are doing--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.