May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 278 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,769
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LD1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is it possible to repair a minor barrel bulge in either a steel barreled or damascus barreled double rifle? Would the barrels have to be separated in order to do it? Would a minor barrel bulge make a barrel unsafe? Is there anyone in the U.S. who can do this repair?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there is enough steel in the barrel, and the bulge is small, I have seen a gun rebored, slightly larger, and the outside of the barrel dressed to remove the bulge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an aquaintance that regularly shoots a .450ish British hammer gun with a slight bulge in the right barrel. Idunno how he determined if it was safe or not,but shoot it he does...Bulge is slight, you can feel it with your fingers....

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is question that has two answers . Yes and no . To be frank with out an experienced rifle barrel maker examining it any comments are little more than nothing . There are far more variables to consider ,than if it were a shotgun .I do not know who would be the man to consult but it will be very easy to do further damage if the work is not done correctly ,if it can be done at all .

Sidelock
Sidelock

A bulge is different from a dent in the metal is stretched outward not compressed inward. From a cosmetic viewpoint a bulge can often be returned to original "cosmetic" position but safety is another question. You have to ask why it bulged in the first time in that place and will the same reason occur again causing another bulge or worse to occur. Metal that has become elastic tends to be elastic again and again.

If you had a bulge in your aorta and a doctor told you that he could push it back in place, trim any extra off the surface would you do it? No I hope not. Same thing with a bulged barrel. Remember Tony had a bulge barrel repaired, reproofed and had it crack, fail again, in less than ten rounds.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Would it not be different with a rifle barrel? It seems that it would be thicker to start with?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's much thicker but the pressures are much greater as well. I'd call JJ at Champlin and ask him what he thinks. I would not fire it myself until it had been pretty much certified safe by someone I trusted to know such things through experience. "Let fortune yield to experience"......the motto of one of my alma maters.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes I agree Last Dollar it, a rifle barrel, should be thicker to start with but it failed or bulged once. Ever blow up a balloon? Notice how hard it is to blow up when new. But after it is stretched, by blowing up once, it is easier to do the second time. Once metal is elastic it will be elastic easier the second time. The owner does not state where the bulge is on the barrel. If it is near the muzzle perhaps the barrel can be shortened. If it is at or near the chamber I would be very worried about shooting even a repaired barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know this guy, Bob knows him too, who has a very neatly repaired left hand. Skin and bone grafts are wonderful things when performed by a very capable surgeon. His injury was from a modern gun from a very good maker who just happened to accidentally bore the barrels a tiny bit eccentric. It was fine right up until it blew up. Food for thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks great and works kinda OK. But definitely not OEM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.