Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The layered accents can be really strange. I just listened to an Asian woman speaking English with a very "posh" English accent. I hate to say it but it was hilarious.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
My last Uggie boxlock was a Falcon 12, with a hidden third fastener, in probably 95% condition-and it was a whopping $375 on gunbroker. The biggest problem with that gun was the white line pad that was installed. You can do it, that is, buy very decent boxlocks for under the $600 mark, if you look and are patient. By the way, the bits for Spanish guns all come from the same steel cooperative, and the "soft" parts are not limited to POS guns. The skill set of the employees of any given Spanish gunmaking concern is more relevant than the name on the gun.
The mindset that you have displayed that ALL Belgian guns are knock-off cheapies is flat out wrong, Larry. The gun pictured by me is a good quality A & D boxlock, equal to most A & D boxlocks coming out of France. Further, no gun shot longer, or, better, simply because it is Helice locked. The Verney Carron patent would have you believe otherwise, but, it didn't change our destiny or even change the fact that a well made boxlock from anywhere across the pond would last several lifetimes of hard use.
There is a Charlin listed on gunbroker right now that is at $480, but, sliding breech pricing is all over the map, and not really indicative of pricing on boxlocks, helice guns, or, otherwise.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=284769470

If a guy waited until this auction ended and offered up $600 for this gun, I'll bet he'd get it. Helice gun, too.

Keep an eye on your meds, Larry.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Ted, it sold for that because it was marked Falcon, and you had to know what you were looking at (which most buyers--especially of cheapies--don't) to know that it was an Uggie. If it were a more modern Uggie and not marked only with some importer's name, it would have cost more.

Given the fact that I've owned a bunch of Belgian guns--maybe even more than you--I'm well aware that they're not all knock-off cheapies. However, I thought maybe you'd been into the sauce more than a little when we started out talking about French guns, and you posted one from Belgium as an example. And it may well be a "good quality A&D", but there's simply too little information in that particular ad to judge much of anything. You didn't skip over the much higher priced French boxlocks to which I referred, did you? Off the same website . . . right there, under "French shotguns" . . . which is a darned good place to start, when you want to compare prices of French guns.

As for the comments about Helice, I spoke with JJ down at Champlin when I was doing an article on French guns, several years back. He had very good things to say about the Helice lockup--which, of course, is also evidenced by the fact that, after the V-C patent expired, there were plenty of St. Etienne guns made using the Helice system.

Stay off the sauce, Ted. And if you want to have an intelligent discussion on the pricing of FRENCH shotguns, then you might start out by posting FRENCH boxlock (non-sliding breech) examples rather than going next door to Belgium. Especially when French examples are readily available, on the very website you used.

Education these days, I guess, just ain't what it used to be. smile

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/06/12 07:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
The layered accents can be really strange. I just listened to an Asian woman speaking English with a very "posh" English accent. I hate to say it but it was hilarious.

On the other hand I went to an importers office on business and there was a tall, thin, fair-haired, blue-eyed guy jabbering away on the phone in Chinese. His speech was so spontaneous and natural if I'd shut my eyes I'd have never known that the fellow speaking was probably British.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, a model 30 is pretty much a model 30. I see the same guns listed over and over again at higher prices. Mostly, they don't sell. They shouldn't. New model 30s are cheap enough not to screw with someone else's $1300, formerly new gun.
'Nother one, Larry-priced right where I said it should be.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=285013933

The sky is the limit one how much you WANT to spend, but, super French (and, otherwise) boxlocks sell for right in that price range I posted.

YOU can (and, should) spend all you want, but, that doesn't mean the price is right.

No sauce here, Larry. Just reality. And a few decent guns in the safe with slim outlay into them.

You should try it. Reality, I mean.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A low price on one gun, Ted--without looking at it in hand--doesn't mean it's "right". Nor does a high price. You can find plenty of both by poking around on the Internet.

Just as you did, I bought a Falcon a couple years back for less than $400; eventually sold it for more than I paid. But that's kinda like finding a Sears Ranger and paying less for it than the same gun marked as a Marlin 90 or a Hunter Fulton: same gun, better price because it didn't say Marlin or Hunter, and a lot of folks don't know it's the same gun. But the market price for a Marlin 90 or a Hunter Fulton is based on guns so marked, not on those wearing other clothing. Find one of the "disguised" ones . . . yes, you can get a bargain, IF you know about the disguise. That's one way in which this BB can be very helpful.

Last edited by L. Brown; 05/08/12 07:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is the Charlin, Larry:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=285076369

It's wearing a good disquise-there are some Charlin features, but, it is actually an R Darne patent gun with a removable breech-notice that axle, for the key to rotate around, in the sliding breech. It's not a bad price, but, it really isn't a Charlin. I have heard of, and seen photos of these guns, but, never held one or seen a catalog describing them. I don't consider the R design on a Charlin a deal breaker, but, some might. At $600 as I type, thats a bargain-we'll have to watch to see where it ends up.

I still maintain that the great majority of guns we actually use and hunt with, have taken a pretty big hit in the marketplace since 2006, or so. That hit has been especially hard on double guns from the continent.

Stuff like the Tzar's Parker may be exempted, but, doesn't matter, to most of us, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't even break 1 large, Larry. Like I said, stuff off the continent has taken a big hit.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Not to the extent, Ted, that you're going to buy a nice, used Uggie 30 for $400 or so. Unless maybe it says "Dickson Falcon", and you're one of those in the know that it's really an Uggie.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.