March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, earlyriser, Gunning Bird), 497 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
Boxlock

Awesome Phil... I am glad everything was OK. Keep me posted on the progress. I emailed $10.00 to Dave for the sale.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to share a link and some information Cambo was able to provide. It seems that EC Hodges was the brother in-law to TR Hasdell. I will post pictures later today and appreciate any information others can share on this gun.

http://hodgesgunmakers.yolasite.com/

1855 December - EC marries Emma Lane of North Walsham. Her parents were Groom Lane, a Norfolk tanner (b.1780 – d.1855) and Harriet Caroline Ladell nee Worm (b.1792 – d. 1869). Pre-marriage address was 23 St James St (now Chantry St), Islington, lodging with George Woods, a barrister's clerk. Emma was living with sister Frances and her North Walsham (NFK) born gunmaker husband Thomas Robert Hasdell (1825-1887) at no.14 in the same street. Hasdell later moved his business to Clerkenwell and was still active in The Field trials of 1866. Thomas and Frances emigrated to Chicago shortly afterwards (date?) and Thomas seems to have had a successful gunmaking career until his death in 1887

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thats the one I passed on in Kalamazoo and regret it. Can we see the proof markings? You want to sell that old thing?

Last edited by chissel; 05/16/12 04:17 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, its a great old gun. I will probably put too much money into it. Good news is the engraving is very nice, and the barrel is also in very good condition. On top of that I just like it. I will have it evaluated shortly and know what I will be doing with it. I already have a few too many projects having recently found the 1st Pigeon gun produced by LC Smith, that also needs some work.
If I decide to sell I will let you know. What is your appeal to this gun Chizzel?

Boxlock
Boxlock

My appeal to this gun is unexplainable. When I first picked up the Hasdell I knew it was a special gun. The only reason I do not have this gun today is because of me being a bit to frugal. I also feel that there is more to this gun than we know. I am sad and also mad at myself for not purchasing it when I had the chance. This one will haunt me. Congratulations Phillip on your purchase. IMO you should study deeply on it before restoration. And every one reading this should pitch in any info they possibly can on its history.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Chissel, I will walk slow on the restoration. I did send the gun to Buck Hamlin to look the gun over, and determine what he could do with the cracked stock. He has done a number of LC Smith stocks for me that were cracked to the point where I thought the wood could not be repaired without looking horrible. He has done an unbelievable job every time. He also did a set of Damascus barrels on my Watson that turned out jaw dropping gorgeous. I too hope anyone that has information on T R Hasdell will share their information. I have received some Private emails with a little information, unfortunatly I think there is just not much information to be had on T R Hasdell.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.