March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ian Forrester, SKB, Mills, 12boreman), 376 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#278048 05/13/12 12:59 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently purchased the T R Hasdell from Cambo listed on the For Sale section. I am looking forward to receiving the fine old gun on Tuesday. In the meantime I am trying to find out as much history as I can on the gun, and the manufacture Thomas R Hasdell.
If anyone on the forum has information they can share, such as articles I can read, engravers that may have done work for Hasdell, and any other information it would be greatly appreciated. So far the search I have done on Google has turned up very little.
It is my intension to have the gun restored. I will post pictures when the project is completed.
Thanks Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I looked up Both TR Hasdell of London and Thomas R Hasdell of Chicago in Carder's. Which one is it?
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc, it could be the same fellow. The Chicago Hasedll was trained early on in Britain and came to the U.S. in 1870 at about the age of 45. Curtis Johnson's second book, Gunmakers of Illinois has some bio on him as well as an 1881 challenge from L C Smith, Maker of the Baker Patent gun, to see whose guns patterned the tightest. Hasdell was supposed to prefer a "long taper choke" boring.

It is never clear with these fellows who operated on imported guns, exactly how much was done overseas and how much was done here. I have seen Hasdell guns both from England and Belgium. Quality varies. The gun we are talking about seems fairly high quality and I would guess most of the work was done in Belgium.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the information Daryl. I do not own Gun Makers of Illinos. Any information you can share from the Bio is greatly appreciated. I did find the article on the LC Smith challange.
Thanks Phil

Boxlock
Boxlock

I personally checked out the Hasdell at a Kalamazoo gun show. And I should have bought it myself, and I am very sorry that I did not. Congratulations to the new owner, you have purchased a very special gun. PM me if you decide to sell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have posted this before..

According to Johnson's "Gunmakers of Illinois" Vol II:
Hasdell worked at 150 St John Road, London until he immigrated to Chicago. From 1871-1887 he was located at 20 E Madison.
In 1881 he was challenged in the American Field by LC Smith of Baker guns. LC Smith wrote a public letter in which he wagered $50 that his guns had a better choke than Hasdell.
Hasell made long taper chokes.

There is at least one example of a WC Scott with Hasdell's name on the barrels. An old ad shows him offering guns for $100-$300 (very expensive). He apparently had a real following in Chicago.

As Daryl stated, it is impossible to determine how much work Hasdell did to a gun.

Pete

PeteM #278208 05/14/12 02:12 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's one I used to own...

Great gun. The nicest TR Hasdell I had seen. Obviously a WC Scott. I believe he imported the guns and finished them here

Boxlock
Boxlock

Do you have any photos to share? The photos have been taken off.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all who have responded I appreciate every piece of information I can gain on the gun, and the man who built it.
Chissel I would like to discuss with you your thought on the gun, and will keep you on mind if I decide to sell. At this time I am looking forward to doing some restoration work on the gun and shooting it a little this fall. I will keep you in mind if I ever decide to part with it.
I am in Mexico working today, but will be driving North tomorrow night. The Hasdell should actually be at my house today. I will take some pictures of the gun and post them. I would like to get feedback on this gun and suggestions on doing restoration, including recommendations on whom I can send it to.
Thanks Phil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I just got home and inspected the HASDELL. The gun is better than expected. The engraving is excellent. The wood is as I expected and will need some work. Barrels are very good. I will post pictures as soon as I can. The barrels is marked T R Hasdell Chicago Ill

Last edited by Phillip Carr; 05/16/12 01:11 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.