April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (WBLDon, Jimmy W, LeFusil, 2 invisible), 807 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,834
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry, I think you have just answered part of my questions, there is a number 408 stamped on the forend wood down in the barrel channel. I don't know why or how I missed that. I always notice this stuff on other peoples' guns but not mine.
Do you think that that number means this is a model 408? I would also like your opinion on the flairing around the firing pin holes, it is worse on the right side, of course, but both of them have it. Could this have been caused by repeatedly dry firing the gun? What should I do about it? I guess I could tap it back down with a brass hammer or something similar but that doesn't explain how they got that way in the first place .Thanks for your help. Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the pictures
Shoot the gun and see if there are any issues opening the gun.
If none, leave the holes alone, if there are opening issues, the flares can be moved back a bit. Maybe dry firing caused the issue.

Really interesting the third bite !!!

Let us know when the barrel is fixed and when you shoot it. Also when you pull the stock and
see about the safety rod.
MAN!!! Aren't new old guns fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should be a fun gun!!!

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 05/06/12 08:50 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

bob...I don't believe there was ever a Beretta Model 408. The absense of engraving on the receiver makes me think this is a 409. Oddly, I did google "Beretta Model 408" and found 2 other references to guys saying that 408 appears on their forend. I'm at a loss. Likewise with the third bite on this gun...however, the Greener crossbolt is pretty common.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my opinion the flaring around the striker holes is from dry firing. If I knew for certain that the hammers are integral with the strikers I could be more certain, but that is certainly what it looks like to me.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

BirdHunter,
You have a very unusual Beretta. The 408 Mdl makes more sense than 409. I have and have had 409s from 1936 to the 1960s and none have had the special feature you have on yours. The top rib, the forarm button, and the third bite are all different than those I have seen. The 408 could be a fore runner to the 409 or a prototype. In any case it is different and special. Try this person and ask what model this SxS is. marilia.santos@beretta.com...Marilia may have an answer for you. She has helped me in the past.
Best,
Ron

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,

Your gun IS a model 408.

Guessing, it may have been made in part to satisfy the French market as it has features common to many French guns [rib treatment, strap, reasonably light weight bbls. & overall weight]. It is a gun designed to be carried about much more than shot. Call it an Italian 'game gun', which it is.

The issue with the firing pin holes 'COULD' be from use w/ammo using 'soft' primers or with thin rims as easily as dry firing, though the latter is perhaps more probable. There is a LOT more variation in ammunition from a rim thickness perspective than gets general discussion. Skeetex has given you good advice.

BTW, your gun as I'm sure you already know is proved for standard loads, not the heavy stuff. I'd look into some of the 24 gram/ 7/8oz. or even 3/4oz. reloads using VP05 wads from Ballistic Products or the newer Clay Buster 3/4oz. wads & E3 or one of the other suitable powders for enjoying it to the fullest on clay targets and on dove or behind a dog on flushed birds. Shooting anything heavier than an ounce [28 grams] will only beat both you & the gun up if you plan to shoot it as lot, mostly YOU at that weight.

I'd hope that you get much enjoyment from using it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Skeettx,
Thanks for your help, I'll let you guys know what I find out about this fun gun and how it shoots when I'm finished with it. Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

jim bode,
I have never heard of a model 408 either but it is sounding more and more like that's what this is. Maybe it is a for runner of the 409. It is interesting anyway. I'll let you know when I find out for sure. Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan,
I would be willing to bet that the hammers and the firing pins are "all in one". All these Berettas are built that way, but then again, this one is different. I'll let you guys know as soon as i have a look inside it. Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ron,
I too have had many 409's in the past but none were even close to this gun. It may be that this gun is a forerunner of the 409 but I just don't know. I thank you for that email address, though. I'll send off an inquiry along with some photos and see what see says it is. Bob

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.