Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gazz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend has asked me to see if I can find some information on his very nice SxS shotgun. It is marked Timner G.M.B.H. Coblenz on the rib and has Kruppe stahl barrels (see photos) and is covered with nice fine engravined scrolls and such. It is also marked Merco on the underside of the barrels that is also repeated on the inside of the forend iron and on the breech face. I did find an older thread about a Timner on this site using google http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=14232 that suggested the gun is Belgian but I do not think so with this one - there are no Belgian proofs on it as well as a stamp S&S on the underside of the barels that make me wonder if it is a product of Sauer and Sohn. Proofs include an eagle, a crown U and a crown W which appear on the flat parts of the barrel undersides and also on the table. I am going to replace the two small diamond inlays in the wrist of the stock for him. he is wondering about the value of this gun and is on the fence about keeping it or selling it. Does anybody have any information that they can add? Thanks for any replies!

It appears that there is no way for me to load pictures. Sorry

Gazz
Sidelock
Sidelock

Merco was Oskar Merkel's trademark. Oskar Merkel may have sourced tubes from Sauer or Sauer could have sourced the work to Oskar Merkel. There is a pic tutorial or send them to me & I'll post them.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Gazz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your response.
Okay, I figured out that the pictures have to be uploaded to some kind of image hosting site like photobucket. A bit more convoluted than I have time for at the moment. Maybe in a few days.

Gazz
Sidelock
Sidelock

With the 3 Ring Krupp Steel, the tubes had to originate with Sauer. It looks like they also made/assembled the tube set. Sauer was centered around production models while the Brothers Merkel had the flexability to produce special order models. The side frame reinforcement is also something seen on many Merkels. Is there are a serial number on the left side of the rear lug or on the water table? Also is there a date stamp on the underside of the left tube? Either Timner's initials were A.F.W. or earlier he advertised as A.F.W. Timner. He knew quality like many of the firearms merchants.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Gazz Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks again for posting hte pictures Raimey. Does anybody have an idea of the value of ths shotgun? The butt stock does have an added on piece to lengthen the pull and there is some moderate pitting on the barrels under the forend. The butt stock is also weeping oil - if I wipe it off there are spots on the wood in about 10-25 minutes. Other then those issues, the gun is nice and tight with bright shiny tubes.

Gazz
Sidelock
Sidelock

August Friedrich Wilhelm Timner was a purveyor of fine shotguns to the royal house of Hohenzollern. His place of business was located in the Prussian Rhenish city of Coblenz. Guns sold by Timner, including those made under contract in Liege, were of the highest quality.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

Sidelock
Sidelock

Must have been several generations, or heirs and assigns, of Timner, specifically a Senior & Junior.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a drilling with 'A.F.W. TIMNER COBLENZ' inscribed on the rib. About 5 years ago, I contacted the German Gun Collectors Association and was told that 'they have heard of Timner, but know nothing about him'. I gave up the search there. After hours of internet searching, I came up empty handed. I was surprised when the German Gun Collectors also came up empty handed! Based on various proof markings, I do know that my gun was pre-1912. Bravo Zulu to von Falkenhorst! That is the most info I have seen yet on Herr Timner. Thank you. Good luck in your endeavours. Cheers!

Last edited by Roundsworth; 05/05/12 09:50 PM.

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting gun. It's cool seeing a sort of English style engraving on a very German gun. And diamond-shaped drop points, too.

Where on the buttstock is it "weeping oil"? That's definitely Not A Good Sign. Could wind up being a high-end gun hurt by getting too much love delivered in the wrong way.

I'd like to see more pictures....

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 05/05/12 10:23 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

"A.F.W. Timner, a gun manufacturer of Coblenz, Germany, is the maker of a Rhenus gun, that weights 6 1/4 lbs(German weight), which has four barrels, two for 20 gauge shells, two rifle barrels, one for a large and one for a small caliber bullet, thus giving the user a choice of different cartridges for the different kinds of game he may meet."

From a November 1902 article. I wonder who was actually making the vierling for him?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.