May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
13 members (Ian Forrester, Karl Graebner, j7l2, eeb, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 1,024 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,521
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#277143 05/04/12 07:08 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I am looking to shoot this fine old 8 bore.
But questions:
1) I cant remove the forend- I got the slide all the way over but it still doesn't come off and it looks like someone broke off the foreend tip trying to pry it off before.
2)what did the forend tip look like that is now missing?
3)S/N is 21971 - how old is this gun?
4)Who has the WC Scott records?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Usually, the problem is that the slide has to come over "just a little bit more" to get out of the lug. Pull just a little harder. Many early guns have pry marks made by idiots trying to remove a forend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yank-

Welcome to the board. Sounds like a neat gun.

What do you mean by "slide"? Does this shotgun have a lever that pivots 90 degrees, or does it have a bolt that slips through the forend and you push out to one side?

Does the shotgun have hammers on it?

Don't know about the forend tip. I would would have to see pics.

The guns was probably made around 1876. All the records for Scotts that early are missing. But if you post pics, we can tell you a lot more about your gun.

If you don't know how to post pics, you can email them to me and I'll put them up for you.

My email is: hfn_03570@yahoo.com

Thanks

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yank:
the "slide" you refer to is actually called a wedge, and it travels from right to left through a "loop" attached to the bottom rib of the barrels. Eightbore is correct in that is must move further left to disengage this loop and release the forearm.

Try tapping the "slide" gently with a non-marring instrument like a brass punch of correct size. It may move far enough to release. If not, take the gun to a 'smith familiar with such things and have him try. (hint: if he's under 40 years old, don't let him).

The forend tip was likely a wedge of black horn.

Many Scott records are still in the hands of Gallyon's in the UK, but are unavailable for research.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Its a hammer gun with a swinging lever by the trigger guard that opens the breech.
the forend has a slide that holds it on like my earlier Parkers. Push on one side and it comes out the other.
It does not have a latch that pivots.
Its bbls are twist or damascus. So corroded can't really see pattern.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Kensal
do you know who could replace the horn piece?
Are there some good reference books on Scott guns of this vintage?
I will post a pic by tomorrow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yank:
You might try NECG for the forend.

Sadly, there is NO new book on Scott alone. The only one I know of is the old "The History of W. & C. Scott Gunmakers" by Crawford and Whatley. Out of print, but you might find one at abebooks.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a copy of the book so may be able to identify the model from photos. The book is somewhat lacking in information at the side of other gun books by the likes of Dallas and Masters. The serial number does put it at 1876 according to the Scott book. I will be away for a few days so will lok upon my return if your questions have not been answered. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes when the forend is really tight you can break the gun open after driving the wedge out and the forend will be released. Worth a try.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I will give that a try when i get home later.

I am perplexed as to what i will do for ammo. I need to look at those Remington industrial hulls in person.

Does anyone know what W&C used for chamber length? there is a stamp on the left bbl "3 1/2'. I assume this means 3 1/2 inches?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.