April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Fudd, jake van dyke, ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

to read all about the Anson-Deeley action? Its origins?
Its inner workings?

Thanks. Robert D.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is my opinion that there is not really a good article or book about this.
I do know that Douglas Tate has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, the men and the action. But unfortunately the subject doesn't really appeal to the majority of readers.
Unless of course readers of this board can convince publishers otherwise?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian's suggestion is a good one. Doug Tate's "Birmingham Gunmakers" contains a lot of information on A&D boxlocks, as produced by various makers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I'm not mistaken, Dig has or is undertaking such a project?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Red:
A good foundation can be found in the "go-to" volume of all time: Greener's "The Gun and Its Development." Also, "Modern Sporting Gunnery" if you can find a copy. The latter classic was virtually a house publication of Westley Richards.

Check abebooks.com for both

And thank you for attempting to find the answers and knowledge on your own initiative!

RedofTx Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did try to do a search in this site for a good read on A&D actions before I posted above.

I then googled 'Anson and Deeley books' and came up with a few hits about a book entitled "The Modern Shotgun" by Burrard, but I was just looking to see what others might recommend before I went out and bought 4 or 5 books on the subject.

Thanks for all who have replied.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do I recall that Burrard had a bit on A&D actions in his three-volume set?

Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed he does.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vol 3 of "British Gunmakers" has 2 pages on the original action as developed and retailed by Westley Richards. [with and without intercepting sears]. I'm not sure the early configurations are correctly worked out, as I have Pat. use number 14 by WR that has the heavy SQUARE pointed cocking lugs, not the round ones that most believe to be earliest.

Best,

Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would second the recommendation of Douglas Tate's "Birmingham Gunmakers", and add Desmond Mills' and Mike Barnes' "Amateur Gunsmithing". The first covers a lot of the history of the A&D boxlock and and the second, inner workings and stripping and reassembly. The bad news is that both books are out of print and are pricey on the secondary market. As best I remember I paid $120 for "Birmingham Gunmakers" and $90+ for "Amateur Gunsmithing" But for the inner workings part you could watch Jack Rowe's five part series "Strip and Clean a Boxlock" on YouTube for free.
Best, D.P. Scurlock

Last edited by Beagle; 05/15/12 09:22 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.