May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
11 members (craigd, David Williamson, buckstix, dblgnfix, 3 invisible), 1,095 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,545
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Gnomon #271550 03/19/12 11:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
We just recently read that there was a possibility that neutrinos were measures as traveling faster than the speed of light. That would have falsified a prediction based on Einstein's equations, hence falsifying the equation. Every practicing scientist deals with falsifiability on an almost daily basis.

Just to clarify, the results of that experiment did indicate that neutrinos were traveling faster than the speed of light, and probably had Einstein spinning in his grave. That was only until the researchers found an error in their test apparatus, which means that their experiment actually did support Einstein's theory, in a manner of speaking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
The fact that it could be falsified is what makes evolution science. The fact that it hasn't been is what makes it fact.

It's not a fact, it's a theory. Credible and well supported, but still a theory, and probably a correct theory at that.

RHD45 #271562 03/20/12 01:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those who die each year from the newly mutated flu bug would doubtless agree.

Evolution 'theory' is science at it's best.

ANTHROPOMORPHIC climate change and LCDM cosmology are psudeo-science at it's worst.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: nca225

Funny, and I'm the guy suggesting that it might be a good idea to listen to the scientists who are in he know. No reason or logic to that.

nca225 I base that comment not just on this thread but on many posts I have seen from you in the misfires section.

Canvasback, you apparently have noticed how nca225 has completely ignored many statements here and stayed the course. He and Gnomon think they win arguments by ignoring the hard or uncomfortable questions. But he and Gnomon would also believe Al Gore and Barack(Barry Soetoro)Obama if they told us a year from now that the world was made of snow. They would even find data to prove that the world really was made of snow.

Just a few short years ago, the Peak Oil theory was all the rage among liberals. We were running out of the juice. Now, we have so damn much oil and "fossil" fuels that if we burn the increased world production, we are going to send the CO2 levels up to a gazillion parts per million. Then we will have runaway atmospheric warming similar to when the world's atmosphere all burned up in a runaway fission reaction when the first atomic bomb was detonated. Oops, that theory didn't quite pan out, fortunately. Also, if this really is fossil based hydrocarbons we're using, where did the oceans of liquid methane on Titan (one of Saturn's moons)come from? But I digress.

I am not going to get into this discussion other than to say that I have done my own research into climate change. The climate certainly is changing. Always has, always will. I took a couple meteorology courses years ago at Pennsylvania State University as electives toward my major, so I have a basic understanding of the "science." The majority of meteorologists in this country are graduates of Penn State University. They have the largest and most prestigious meteorology program in the U.S. And I was embarrassed that my scientists at my Alma Mater were part of the data falsification scandal at East Anglia University. I've seen nothing yet that makes me want to disagree with the founder of Accu-Weather who said, "Global Warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated upon mankind."

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Shotgunjones
You let other people make up your mind for you?

No. Relying on the opinion of an expert in their area of expertise is not the same as letting other people make up your mind for you.

Its more akin to taking you doctor's advise, such as is done countless times a day across the world.

I don't play junior doctor or junior scientist and think I know better than the people who work on their area of expertise day in and day out.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: nca225

Funny, and I'm the guy suggesting that it might be a good idea to listen to the scientists who are in he know. No reason or logic to that.

nca225 I base that comment not just on this thread but on many posts I have seen from you in the misfires section.

Thats pretty telling too since most of the threads I respond too here are of a political nature. I can tell you have politics much to the right of mine and now I can tell that your politics doesn't leave room for other's differing opinions. You can miss a lot if your view is to narrow.

I admit I am culpable of that as well.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
RHD45 #271585 03/20/12 08:31 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvas,

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=polar-ice-sheets-melting-faster-than-predicted

I believe Mr. Raal's opinion is in the minority on this one.

keith #271586 03/20/12 08:33 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith

I am not going to get into this discussion other than to say that I have done my own research into climate change. The climate certainly is changing. Always has, always will. I took a couple meteorology courses years ago at Pennsylvania State University as electives toward my major, so I have a basic understanding of the "science." The majority of meteorologists in this country are graduates of Penn State University. They have the largest and most prestigious meteorology program in the U.S. And I was embarrassed that my scientists at my Alma Mater were part of the data falsification scandal at East Anglia University. I've seen nothing yet that makes me want to disagree with the founder of Accu-Weather who said, "Global Warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated upon mankind."

You make a very good junior scientist with your college level meteorology courses. But I'll rely on the actual experts thank you.

RHD45 #271598 03/20/12 09:07 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

keith, you just make up weird stuff about others:
Quote:
But he and Gnomon would also believe Al Gore and Barack(Barry Soetoro)Obama if they told us a year from now that the world was made of snow. They would even find data to prove that the world really was made of snow.

and you may well even believe that you "know" this stuff to be true.

And you wonder why people don't "answer" your stuff?

craigd #271600 03/20/12 09:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: craigd
Originally Posted By: Gnomon

....science does not prove stuff - it proposes mechanisms that are the best fit to current data. Science only disproves...

Wow, so global warming is imagination from a scientific mind, but subject to disproving. There are many things that science can prove. Do we erect skyscrapers hoping they won't collapse, or tear into someones chest for heart surgery, hoping that things will be in the right place.

By the way Gnomon, I'm still curious how you are going to create matter.
Nca, it's all in you words that were quoted.

craig, please think about what was written.

You may find the notion strange, but many do because science is either not taught at all or nobody pays attention!

I walked us through the philosophical issues regarding "proof" and "falsification" and won't do it again since it seems not to make a difference. The more evidence that accumulates supporting a theory the "better" the theory is. But it does not "prove" it - the fact that predictions from theory or experiments actually work is nice but it isn't proof.

People built huge buildings in pre-science days. Some fell down and the ones still standing didn't. Modern structures, embarrassingly collapse too. Also, engineering is not science. Please read what I wrote.

By the way, modern philosophers of science would probably not include anatomy and even if it were science (and not descriptive natural history) you are wrong abut the cardiac surgery. Stuff is often not the "right place" and that has to be considered. Look up situs inversus or transposition of the great arteries as a starter.

And I never said I'm going to create matter. Where does that come from?

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.