May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (bsteele, Jusanothajoe), 321 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,926
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All,

I purchased an amazing gun from the UK and had it shipped to me, here in the USA. Figured I'd update everyone on how easy the process was, given a few key items available for the folks at Customs.

First, shipper (AG&L in this case) emailed me airline, flight numbers, and air bill number for the guns journey to America.

Second, knowing the airline and when the gun was scheduled to arrive at my airport, I called the airlines cargo division and confirmed the arrival.

Third, I went to the cargo division (on the grounds of my local airport) and picked up paperwork (bill of sale and air bill) that Customs would need to stamp in order for the gun to be released to me.

Fourth, I drove around the corner to the Customs & Border Protection office (also on airport grounds).

Fifth, I presented paperwork and a copy of their own website's FAQ on importing antique firearms (https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/210/~/requirements-for-importing-new-or-antique-firearms%2Fammunition). It was VERY important that the bill of sale stated the date of manufacture. As you can see from Customs' own website; "CBP will accept a certificate of authenticity or bill of sale with the year the firearm was manufactured as proof of age." Two guys mulled it over for five minutes. One couldn't believe I could just walk out of there with a gun, without a federal firearms license, but the other guy kept pointing to the date of my gun (1873) and the date identified on their own documentation (1898) and I was out of there with stamped documents a minute later.

Sixth, back to cargo office with my papers and $35 (cash/check/charge) for God-knows-what, and I was on the way home with a new-to-me gun!

Seventh, do the happy dance after unwrapping and confirming the perfect nature of the gun.

The key to this whole process was having the invoice with my guns date of manufacture on it, and presenting the Customs guys with their own rules and regulations.
Without the date on the invoice, I may have been able to prove the age with just the serial number (also on the invoice) and a copy of Nigel Browns British Gunmakers Vol. 1, but who knows if that would have been enough. Without the copy of the FAQ from the CBP website, Im sure I wouldnt have left with that gun today, further levels of bureaucracy and management review would have been required.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pictures please

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO:
The process described above should be pinned somwhere on this forum for future reference by everyone. I received somewhat different information when discussing this with a German auction house a few years back. I wish I would have kept the correspondence with them.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations.
However, I don't understand how this can happen, yet it takes 6 months and a bunch of BATF paperwork, and $300+ to an importer to import a pre-1898 Lefever from Canada.
This and the refusal to sell a C&R gun to a C&R holder without a class 1 FFL getting some bucks along the way are driving me nuts.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a buyer tell me I had to use an FFL to send a shotgun to his FFL (his FFL wouldn't accept it from ignorant old me). I emailed back that it was fine, but an unrequired expense being demanded by his FFL, but if he wanted to waste his money I'd comply. He wised up and found a different FFL that wasn't an unreasonable HA, problem solved.

Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

well done!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hammer Guy,you are lucky to live near an airport that has a Customs Office. Here the same caper might involve a double 4 1/2 hour drive. What was the cost of your air freight ? In my experience, since the English mail [Parcel Force] stopped shipping firearms, the air freight companies sort of charge anything they want. Last air freight quote I have seen is around 700 dollars. Quite a bit for a ten pound package.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Rockdoc
I had a buyer tell me I had to use an FFL to send a shotgun to his FFL (his FFL wouldn't accept it from ignorant old me). I emailed back that it was fine, but an unrequired expense being demanded by his FFL, but if he wanted to waste his money I'd comply. He wised up and found a different FFL that wasn't an unreasonable HA, problem solved.

Steve

I was given this same B.S. by someone who insisted he had to go thru a FFL to ship me 2 pistols that were clearly C&R* eligible. The FFL wanted $75 per gun plus shipping which queered the deal for me. I suspect he then bought them from the seller himself since they were reasonably priced.
*I have a C&R license.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's great that you were well prepared and the Customs officers had good sense to realize that you were correct in your assertions. I'd like to think it would be true across the board with other locations, but you never know. The more you prepare, the luckier you get. wink
Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

This was face-to-face with customs at point of delivery by a person who had done his and their homework, with their official documents as evidence. Generally no one wants to look stupid. They gave him the gun. A pleasant nature and quiet assurance helps. It works for me with customs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.