March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Jtplumb, Bob Jurewicz), 326 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure comparing an original Fox to a CSM Fox is not a worthwhile endeavor. Kinda like trying to compare a 55 Vette to a 2012 Carbon Corvette. Which is better? ...depends.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good point, Chuck. My preference as a dreamer would be for the original. Others are like those who buy the new iPads as marvels of technology (when all of them are magic to me).

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I'm pretty sure comparing an original Fox to a CSM Fox is not a worthwhile endeavor. Kinda like trying to compare a 55 Vette to a 2012 Carbon Corvette. "

I would agree that only similarity is 4 wheels and a steering wheel for the Corvette comparison but the comparison to a Fox made in the early 19th century and a CSMC Fox is ridiculous.
Without CSMC markings on the firearm, one Fox will look exactly as another Fox and function the same. I haven't been into any Fox internally but I certainly think the CSMC Fox would be much better finished. 20th century engravers are long gone so if you want a Fox engraved by one of those guys, you have to find one on the secondary market.
If you want a finely engraved gun to you specifications as one could have made for you in the 20th century, then CSMC offers as a fine a game gun made anywhere in the world at a very competitive price and made in the USA where one can actually communicate with the maker or fairly easily go see your gun.
For me it was no-brainer for a 16 gauge Fox DE Special because there were only about 60 made in the 20th century and the chances of finding one made to my specs, new condition, are zero.
After collecting Supers and Model 21's for 20+ years, I know the pitfalls (not all, as there are always new scams out there) of purchasing used guns and the time and effort required. I decided that It wasn't worth the expenditure of energy/time because one, I couldn't find what I wanted and two, I could order the same gun made today from CSMC and in fact made much better. It's really time to get over this prohibition that some seem to have against CSMC Fox's and Model 21's.
There is a whole new generation of buyers out there that are enjoying these CSMC guns of which I have joined.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 03/11/12 01:44 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I believe all AH Fox shotguns were produced in the 20th Century....

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dick,
The debate is all about intangibles like "soul", "character", etc..

I appreciate all that too. Like you, I would love to have one of those original DE's in perfect condition that just happen to be made to my dimensions, and in the gauge I prefer. Then, I would like to buy it for the price that was somewhat less than the cost of a new fully loaded pickup too. Lots of wishin'.

So, I think I'd do exactly as you did.

Regards
Chuck

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guarantee after 10 to 50 years of use that a CSMC Fox will have all the soul and character of the originals with similar use.Nothing nicer than a well used and maintained high grade shotgun to feast the eyes on.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We agree, Chuck and RH.
Thanks-Dick
BTW for point of information, the CSMC Fox DE Special is an uncatalogued Grade. The engraving is deeper cut. I noticed this engraving style in the catalog and asked Lou about it and then ordered the DE Special engraving for an additional few $$.
I've seen one or two CSMC Fox's with this engraving, mostly in a bright finish, The one I have is case colored, subtle but up close very nice.

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 03/11/12 01:51 PM.
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The early lightly cut DE engraving pattern is most pleasing to my eye.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why do people feel the need to use the terms '20th Century', '19th Century' etc.? Too many hours spent watching Antique Roadshow, I guess.

1) It sounds snobby
2) It forces the listener to then convert the reference to real
years.

It's not hard to simply say "1800's" "1900's" etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
The early lightly cut DE engraving pattern is most pleasing to my eye.

I like the early C and D lighter engraving as well. If I were to do a custom Fox or order a CSM, it would be in the style of the early engraving.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.