Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't own one but a friend has an FE 20 ga that is outstanding in all regards although I can't say I inspected the layout of the grain at the wrist/head. It is however a beautiful gun and exhibits the highest workmanship. I believe it was ordered a little more than 10 years ago. I've made the same comment before - I only wish they did not scallop the action on the grades that were originally produced as flat e.g., C and X. That said, Bob's XE is out of sight!

Sidelock
Sidelock

JMC,

I looked at (and regret that I did not purchase)a used 20 ga CSMC CE at the 09 Vintagers shoot in MD. This gun had the flat back action & I was told the customer who ordered the gun wanted it exactly like the 20 ga CE on page 134 of McIntosh's book except for having 2 triggers. I was looking for a 16 ga & ordered a 16 ga from CSMC at the shoot. They would not build me one with a flat back action though that is what I wanted.
My point is that they have built at least one gun with a flat back action in the past & with the current cnc machineing of the actions I don't see why it would be difficult to do so.
That particular CE 20 ga was one of the nicest CSMC Fox guns I've seen & I don't remember the serial # or when it was built.

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brit - thanks for sharing. I was not aware that CSMC had made any without the scalloped action. I've never seen one and just assumed and really just prefer the plain action with rebates. I'll check the book tonight. I was at the Vintagers in 2009 but don't recall seeing that particular gun in the CSMC tent - probably overwhelmed by all the RBLs!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
G-W, what grade is the gun you are looking at?

It is a single trigger CE grade (20 gauge) - very similar in specs and condition to the one Steve Barnett lists on his site and GunsInternational. We haven't talked price yet.

Thanks for the comments everyone - I like what I hear. I only know a few guys that have owned them and nobody has regretted the purchase. All guns have pros/cons but doesn't sound like there are too many guys that were completely unhappy with their CSMC Foxes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

jmc

The CE 20 w/flatback action was not in CSMC's tent. The gun was in the tents close to the parking lot & sold 1st or 2nd day. It was owned by a former employee of CSMC (don't remember name)& the story was that the original owner of the gun had been very specific re. period style engraving & configuration on the CE & then later traded it back to CSMC for a higher grade. The gentlemen that had the gun at the Vintagers then purchased the gun from CSMC for the ammount Tony allowed the original owner on trade. He told me the name of the engraver who I recoginized as one of the engravers who did most of the higher grade guns & I'm thinking it was an earlier gun.
I'll stand on what I said about the varying quality of workmanship on CSMC Foxes in my earlier post but this one was first rate.
To be fair, all gunmakers have some up & downs in quality but IMHO CSMC Foxes & all Spanish gun makers vary more than I am comfortable with & each gun needs to be evaluated on it's own merit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I often wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat wondering why I dilly-dallied and didn't purchase this, the most beautiful CSMC Fox I could ever imagine. Every time I look at it I just shake my head...my never-ending search for the ultimate grouse/woodcock carry gun would have been satisfied.
http://www.foxriversporting.com/products/ah-fox-de-28ga-csmc

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is indeed a gorgeous gun, WS. The only thing that might bother me is the drop. 1 3/4" at heel is pretty darned high! Don't think I've ever owned a gun with less than 2" DAH.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a CE 20 from Tony years ago that he had built to exhibit at the Grand American .It was truly a beautiful gun! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shop for an old Fox! I would much rather spend money for stock modifications or restoring an old original A.H. Fox than to spend anything for a CSMC shotgun. One thing that is not mentioned is that those high CSMC prices are mostly for modern labor cost to a gun with "very little" history. Be ready for a hefty loss if you decide to sell that CSMC gun later on.

Last edited by Model2128Ga; 03/10/12 04:42 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I noticed the stampings on the barrel of that 28 gauge, it would be great to have the original Fox stampings on those barrels.
They still are beautiful guns and built to your specs!!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.